I love Elixer Nanowebs!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BassistJ, Jun 8, 2001.

1. BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    Umm...jeeze...I guess the title says it all, huh...I should have thought this through... ~Stands around aimlessly~

Actually, I just felt the sudden urge to stick up for a brand of strings that I don't see many posative comments on around here. I happen to like the feel and the sound of the strings. And the fact that they really do last a whole lot longer then "conventional" strings helps a lot for my pocketbook. I can see why some people would'nt like them because after a while they do look like they're getting a bit hairy, but I've never been huge into cosmetic features anyway.

Well, that's my opinion.
    And jeeze do I need to learn to spell.
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I haven't tried the nanowebs, but I always thought the Polywebs were nice strings.
  3. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
  4. BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    They are nickle roundwounds with a very thin synthetic coating around them. On the Nanowebs the coating is'nt even noticble. The result is a string that has a very warm sound, yet you can still slap all day long and not have it go dead. It's like having a new set of strings on constently.
  5. =^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    What are they like for brightness ? How would you rate them against say Dean Markely Solid bass / DM Blue Steels or D'addario Prisms

I like my strings bright and new sounding, but replacing them every two gigs is getting a little expensive..

Thanks for your time BassistJ :)
  6. will the coating reduce the wear on a fretless???
  7. BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    Raid, my man; there nickle-plated strings, so they're not going to be as bright as the strings you mentioned, which I'm pretty sure are all stainless steel. They're not bright in a Mark King/Marcus Miller fashion. They're bright in a Victor Wooten/Stanley Clarke/Stu Hamm fashion. And yes, they'll last ya more then two gigs.

Relman, my other man; I would'nt know. I have a very thin, incredibly strong coat of a polyurethane compound on my fretless neck. It would take a jackhammer to wear this thing down any! However, my private lessons teaches uses them on his fretless with an uncoated neck, and he says he has'nt seen any wear at all, and he's had his on for alot longer then I've had mine on.
  8. =^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Thanks BassistJ - I think I'll give them a try.

Is there anything that Gore-tex doesn't improve ?? I think the bagpipe bag has to be the best product ever...
  9. spyde223

Apr 11, 2000
    Dumas, Texas
    did you say Gore-Tex. i had a pair of shoes that they helped design(?). they were waterproof and oh man. i walked through puddles all day. my shoes were soaked but not my feet :D. the good ol' days. need a new pair strings, i might have to try them.
  10. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    To anyone who has tried both varieties of Elixirs:

How do the nanowebs compare in terms of thickness, tension and overall punch?

I was okay with the polys' lack of brightness, but found they were missing some necessary mids. I also thought they felt stiffer than other brands of nickel strings the same gauge. The slipperiness and the fuzz shedding didn't bother me.

I'm hoping the nanowebs are the perfect answer. Any opinions?

11. theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    Yeah I like em also

I have had mine on for like 3 months I think.
    I would say the nano webs have some more upper mids and highs. Not a huge difference. The tension is similiar. I do like them better than the poly webs
    though for these reasons. They seem to last just as long. I havent noticed any fuzzies on these strings like the poly webs. You cant even see the coating.

They are not going to be as bright as brand new DR's but for how long they retain their sound they are unbeatable.

Im surprised more people dont use them.
  12. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I dig the nanos and find them to have better overall tonal response than the poly's. Great strings, IMO.
  13. well, the main turnoff for me is the price. $ 54 canadian is a bit too much for a guy who's used to pay around $ 34 Canadian for strings. However, if they last longer the price may even out. How long do they ussualy last? I play every day for at least 1 - 1 1/2 hours, and do mostly fingerstyle and slapping. I've also got pretty strong hands.
  14. theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    Bro, the price more than evens out.
    They last for months. I would say at least 4 months but probably longer. Normal strings would last me a week or so. I play between 2 and 4 hours a day.
  15. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It's nice to hear that so many people do, in fact, like the Nano-webs.

OTOH, I have a set on my Spector that's been on for about 1 month. I can't stand 'em! I mean, I'm slipping all over the place because the coating is like a lubricant on the string. Supposedly some people like that. Another thing I hate is how that even the nickel strings I've played have a lot more brightness than the Nano-webs!:mad: To me, the Nano-webs are like playing with your treble rolled completely off and a blanket covering your speaker grille: muffled sounding:(

Bottom line: they may be great strings, but for me they suck!
  16. dytakeda

Jul 18, 2000
    I can't say enough about them. I have the Polywebs on my fretless J (since February, still bright), and Nanowebs on my fretted P (since April, still bright). I even put a set on my acoustic guitar just recently. I love them... I've been waiting for something like this for years.

I have REALLY SWEATY PALMS. I get embarassed sometimes if I'm nervous and have to shake hands -they're that bad. I used to KILL strings quickly. Before the Elixirs, my solution was to buy the cheapest strings possible (Hey Carvin's having a sale! Time to stock up). Since they all died within an hour or so, no sense in spending for DR's. I also got really used to the "Thud, thud" sound in practice, because I would never change strings until right before a public performance.

Yes, they cost more, but they're worth it. I love them. I consider these one of the major breakthroughs in the music industry of the past 10 years.
  17. I have to agree about the strings I love them. I went into a store and picked up this bass and was amazed at the feel of the strings and asked i then bought a set and It's like the first time I picked up the bass and felt the power carreening through my viens,
    I've played Blues Steel, DR's and they broke a lot, then I stayed with GHS. I replaced with other strings all the time trying this and that. But these are the caviar of the string world
  18. jimclark68

Dec 16, 2000
    Morganton, NC
    I have a Tacoma CB-10 that came from the factory with the Elixir acoustic bass polyweb strings. I need to replace them, and I am considering getting the electric bass strings because the acoustic strings don't have the nanoweb coating. Plus, I can't stand bronze strings because the turn ugly after a while. Is there any reason why I couldn't put Elixir's electric strings on an acoustic-electric bass?
  19. dytakeda

Jul 18, 2000
    Electric strings MIGHT require a higher tension to bring them up to pitch, which would result in damage to the top of the acoustic. And, aren't electric strings longer? Be sure you check it out thoroughly before putting the steel strings on. I'm no expert, but I want to tell you to be careful.

Hey AJRocks, funny you mention DR's breaking. They're the only sting I've ever broken - and it happened twice. I've been playing since 1978, and used many brands. Maybe DR's have a sensor in them that breaks the string when you put them on a plain ol' P-bass.
  20. When DR's came out I was told how great they were, yet every time they broke,
    Oh I have yet since learned that you're not suppose to play that hard and in the 50's and 60's the stand ups' strings were very loose to get the sound they had. I try to play much more gently but sometimes I get real excited when I'm in the groove and it pumps through my veins. Sorta like the guy turning into the hulk