1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I love flats!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Lichtaffen, May 1, 2009.

1. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    So I replaced the roundwounds on my Stingray with D'addario Chrome flatwounds. At first it was a little zingy sounding, but after a few weeks of moderate playing they sound perfect. I really love them, such a huge difference.

Quick question: I've heard you can't slap and pop with flats. First of all, is this true? Second, if it is true, is it okay to do a little pop here and there like Bernard Edwards used to as an accent? Will it ruin the string or something?

2. I pop 'em. Haven't had a breakage problem. Of course, they aren't as filled with overtones, so they won't sound like Victor Wooten.

3. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    People say you can't slap because they won't produce a tone normally associated with slap bass

4. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Listen to this.

5. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Jasper just proved its very, very possible.

Man, that dude is funky. Is that you, Jasper?

6. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    No. Someone in Germany. I remember this Youtube clip from a few weeks ago, when the "Stingray with Flats" subject came up.

7. boogie8008

boogie8008

Nov 18, 2008
    Denver CO
    Its not that you cant slap, its just that flats have less high end. I have played plats on my Sterling for years and love it. All you really need to do is dial in a little more treble for slap parts and its brings back the pop that the flats cut out.

8. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    I'm glad to hear you all say this, and thanks for the video Jasper. I do actually like the sound of the flats being slapped. I don't slap very often and usually use it for accent rather than an entire part slapped and popped. They certainly do give you that old R&B sound that I couldn't quite dial in with the round wounds. I'm very happy with them and the only way I'd go back to rounds is if I bought another identical bass. Even then, I don't miss the scratchy sound of rounds plus having to constantly think about muting. Feels better to my fingers too.

The reason I'm posting this is to encourage others to try it. I wish I went to these years ago.

9. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    Some flats are better than others for slap...... Chromes are nice at it for a while..... Fenders stay bright forever. I just put a 12 year old set of Fender Flats on my MIA Jazz bass, and they are slaptastic.

10. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hmm. While my Precision is off for it's second replacement neck, I might have to throw the flats on my G&L L-2000.

c-