Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I love it when this happens....

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by gweimer, Sep 10, 2000.

1. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Well, about 9:00 last night, I got a call from a band that I occasionally play for. They needed me to get right down to the club, and play for the night. Not bad; I got to play (first time in a while on a live gig), I got paid, and I got a chance to see some people I haven' seen for a while. The sax player and I really like working together, so we may see about some future things....
    It was one of those usual, last-minute, slapped together kind of gigs. This band has been on the verge of folding, since the members aren't constant, and the leader has a job that takes him out of town for a couple months on end. Got there, realized that I hadn't played most of the songlist for about 4 months, and just did what I could. It wasn't too bad; I remembered most of the songs (pretty standard stuff, but there were some oddballs), and they tossed about 6 at me that I never played before ("Dixie Chicken" which I've heard enough to fake it. The Wes Montgomery was NOT a "simple I-IV-V", and I chose to watch most of this one.). The sound wasn't the greatest, and the job got cut short when a fight came a little close to the stage, and one side of the PA came tumbling down.
    All in all, a good night! :cool:

s0c9, Winfred and BassCliff like this.
  2. Well how about this. This is for our mens choir.
    Go to the concert to do 3 selections.

The first song, the pianist chooses to use an acoustic upright piano. In a Church. It is out of tune of course. Played though it, but not happy about it. Of course, everyone is looking at ME as if I'm out of tune. So I get him to a keyboard. The next song, in the pocket, now we're cooking !

The last song, the soloist is REALLY Feeling it. He starts to sing, not a verse/chorus/verse, but a verse and a half, chorus, chorus, WHATEVER !!!! It took me a while to figure out this guy was flaky, so just hang on, listen up, don't get too fancy, and follow the leader.

Whew.

Later.

BassCliff likes this.
  3. 47th Street

47th Street Holy Cow!!! We're in Japan!! Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    WAIT A MINUTE HERE!!! Have you been reading my journal?
    East Dublin, GA... 3/16/1998??? LOL

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  4. This must be a strong contender for oldest zombie thread resurrection on record!

5. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    Longer than most current forums have been in existence.

6. Should we just plan to meet here again in 2028?

7. 47th Street

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    What I meant was...dam near the very same thing happened to me at a gig in East Dublin, GA in the spring of '98...half the PA came a tumblin' down the weekend following that good, big fight... LOL

8. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    I'm just amazed that there was a fight at a jazz gig!

9. 47th Street

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    I would be WAY more amazed if there was a jazz venue in East Dublin, GA!

10. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Yeah, they got in a big argument over whether the 27th note of the clarinet solo was a Bb or an A#

47th Street and kcole4001 like this.
  11. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Well, I gotta ask: How the heck did you find this thread? I mean, you must have searched; these things don't come up at random. What were you searching for?

12. 47th Street

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    Utterly random...aren't you interested when you read "I love when this happens"? I was just wandering and wondering what happened... lol

13. It's nice to see good spelling and correct grammar on this forum for a change... Like, 14 years ago :)

Also:

[​IMG]

Nobody noticed?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  14. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan. Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    I do not understand why folks bust on others that resurrect zombie threads, I find them interesting.