1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I love my band...But its to much drama!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JohnnyChatter, Aug 19, 2012.

1. So let me state first. I am a working man who worked crumby jobs his whole life to support his music. Dropped out of college to play tours. Swung hammers all summer to tour in the snow during the winter. I worked my way up high at my current blue collar job and now all i'm doing is saving my pennies until i can get a band that supports me not working. Which i know is a dream. Even my old lady love of my life is willing to work and let me not work because she knows all i want to do is play. The only reason she comes first in my life is because she would never make me choose between her or my bass. I am currently playing in a great band. Everything works. My guitar player and myself write most of the music. Not together. We just both bring most of the stuff to the table. Well, he recently just decided completely out of no where that he hates our singer. That i will admit is flat and odd sometimes but he has alot of potential. Nice guy, no ego, and has lungs. He also always asks what he can change to make it better and i have never heard my guitar player say anything. I will be the first to admit i am way closer to my guitar player than my singer. My guitar player is telling me he wants out if something doesn't change vocally but he doesn't have the guts to say anything to help my singer along. I feel just kicking our singer who has been more than fair and has more than potential out for no reason is a true injustice. The rest of my band agrees with me. I want to tell my guitar player to just get his head out of his ass or walk. I understand over thinking **** and looking at the band as a business. In a business though you don't fire a guy who is doing his best that you also get along with and has potential because he isn't an all star now. And are there that many all star singers just sitting around?

2. Long rant. That cobra malt liquor gets me fired up! Sorry guys and gals.

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Normally, I would say it is easier to replace the lead guitar than the singer. But since he is also one of the main songwriters that adds a big wrinkle.

Sorry, can't really help :atoz:

4. He also has a lot of the connections and is a close friend. One of the founding members and is also one of my closest friends outside of the band. Usually its him and I against the rest of the band. This time he is just being a pain.

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Since he's such a good friend I think it's time for sit down with him to discuss the situation.

I suggest that you get him to talk as much as possible so he can explan himself.

i suggest that you ak him what his plan is if the singer is booted out.

Seems to me that he may have another singer in mind already since his attitude change came out of the blue.

6. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I too think you should discuss the situation. I can't see losing the guitar player, especially if he is good. However, finding a decent singer has always been the main problem in all of my bands. If the singer is good, find a way to make it work if at all possible.

There is definitely not a bunch of all star singers just sitting around, not in my area at least.

7. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    Wow! Story of all of our lives...

Do you have any audio / video of the band?