Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I love my bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Pantsman, May 31, 2005.

1. Not sure if this is the right forum but anyway, heres the story, i have a oldish yamaha RBX260 (i think) and i love it, i have played $6000 (au) basses and just haven't like them as much, just wondering if it would just be worth upgrading this bass, like, with a new bridge nut and pickups. With the pickups would "DiMarzio DP127 Split P Replacement Pickup for Fender® P Bass®" Those fit into my bass? and other suggestions or ideas are very much welcome, as usual thanks for your help guys.

2. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    If you love it the way it is, I see no reason to change it.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    They should fit fine.

4. I love the way it plays, not its sound, being such a cheap bass it is missing punch, and a 'real' tone, i reckon pickups first, then bridge and nut at the same time. Just read a review by this guy who threw the same pickups into his yamaha, i think i am sold, is it possible to do the installation myself, i have soldering iron and mediocre skills in its use?

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Given the assumption the strings are decent, it's properly setup, and functioning as it was designed, if you like the bass then a pup swap is a logical means of changing the tone within the bass itself - since that's where most the tone is.

If you have common sense, decent eyesight, and a halfway steady hand you should have no problem installing them yourself. Just do a TB search for tips on soldering and keep the gun out of the wires. Instructions come with new pups and they're probably available online at the Dimarzio site if you buy them used and don't get instructions with them. It's a good first project.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If you don't like the bass's sound, changing pickups and bridge and nut probably aren't going to help much. I've found the difference in pickups to be minimal at best, and changing bridge and nut to have pretty much zero effect on the sound. Sure, pickups can have different EQ points and can be louder or quieter, but they're all just reproducing the tone they're getting from the bass. You can put Bartolinis on a Fender and it's still going to sound like a Fender. Which is a good thing, by the way!

7. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Apart from being awesome bang for buck, the only things lacking in the lower range rbx's are the bridge and pickups, and I do think it's worth upgrading.

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I'd be interested in hearing about a few of the first hand experiences you have that substantiate that perspective.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well, I have a 1976 Fender Precision I bought new that I have upgraded and upgraded and totally killed its resale value in the process. It's been 6 different colors, had 5 different pickups (everything from the original P to Duncan Stacked Jazz to EMG Jazz to a '62 reissue P to its current EMG P/J). It's also had 4 different bridges on it...an original, a DiMarzio that I hated, a BadAss that I also didn't like, and a Schaller. Now there was a difference between switching from P to two J's, but when I switched the Duncan Stacks with EMG J's, the only difference was that the EMG's were quieter, otherwise they sounded pretty much identical. I attribute the sound changes to adding the second bridge pickup and the P and J neck pickups being placed in different spots. With the different bridges, I heard no appreciable sonic differences. It still sounded exactly like my bass.

So that's how I came to that conclusion.

10. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

this is very interesting, becuase I can see how you arrived at that conclusion given the information. To be honest, my initial thought was, only somebody who was blinded by wood theory; tone deaf; had virtually no experience with what they were talking about; or had heard of a bass but never played one would make such a statement.

Unless when you say "pretty much the same" you mean a bass sounds like a bass in being different sounding than like a 6 string guitar, I feel 99.9% confident in stating that something is seriously amiss or bizarre here, and in the mix there is an explanation other than the conclusion you've arrived at. If nothing else, if that bass is truly that way, you haven't diminished the value a penny - cause it wasn't worth anything from day one.

Just from a logical standpoint, even given the extreme makeup of western culture (in particular American), you wouldn't have 50 million pickups to choose from if there wasn't something to it. People eventually do catch on to the best of "scams." And at any rate, with rare exception I don't buy hype and I've had roughly 75 different sets of pups in 5 different basses and my conclusion to date is that roughly 75% of the tone is in the pups and the majority of the rest in the acoustic tone of the bass - about 90% of that is in the neck/neck construction.

I can't say I've found anything significant in the bridge or nut swaps either but I have limited experience there.

But given your hearing is decent, and the bass is up to snuff yet still has issue, I'd speculate the neck is firewood. Necks can and do do some wierd things - although I've never heard anything this extreme. Or if you run through electronic junk that makes everything sound the same. Just the EMG example alone is enough. Active EMG's tend to sound consistently more the same than any pup I've run across but they don't sound like the other pups you've mentioned. And even though I haven't found a P pup I would keep, they don't sound alike - even though they're inclined to sound more like than other pups.

Have you had this experience with any other bass?

11. bridge and nut change idea was more for improving the sustain, not for tonal, reasons, sorry i don't think i made that bit clear, but it seem to be a great idea, now i jsut gotta figure out which new pups are for me!!

12. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    pantsman is dead right, I have the exact same bass in blood red :D. I love it to death, the neck plays well, and it feels well balanced but there is just no tonal adjustments available with the stock pup's unfortunately....