Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I love my cheapo Yamaha.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PilbaraBass, May 24, 2005.

1. I’ve been looking for an inexpensive instrument to round out the “team”. With my P-bass still in America until who knows when, I was looking for something that contrasted my fretless wish and my fretted Carvin AC-40.

I found and purchased a Yamaha RBX-170 on e-bay for about ½ the price that you can get one new here.
    I received it yesterday and it is in immaculate shape, not a ding or scratch on it.

The action was more than acceptable for now (I’ll give it a better going over this weekend)

After spending a few minutes tuning it and a little fiddling, I plugged her into my amp and had a go.

Wow! For the price, this is one SWEET sounding axe. It has a very nice edgy slap tone and I can also get that nice, round, P-bass-like, no-fuss sound from it as well.

And the neck feels really nice.

The tuners aren’t the most robust, but they’ll hold their own with some TLC. The bridge is very basic, but again, more than adequate. The electronics are quiet and the pickups sound very good for a bargain-basement instruement. The neck (as I said before is sweet) and the frets are quite well done. The metallic red paint job is solid and should hold up to much abuse.

It’s currently strung with some medium gauge nickel roundwound strings of a brand I’ve never heard, but their OK. I’ll use them until I don’t like them anymore and then put my D’Addario XL-170 set on it.

I love this bass, I’m very happy I got it. What a very inexpensive way to round out my arsenal.

2. Wayner

Wayner

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    Congrats! I felt exactly the same way when I bought an OLP MM2 on a whim.

3. I started off with an RBX170 and so far after a year (mainly due to financial reasons) I haven't upgraded.

Like I could go and buy something fractionally more expensive, but the RBX will suffice until I can get something drastically better.

4. Musicfreak1988

Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    Belgium
    Yeah, ... I owned (and still own) a Yamaha RBX-270L and I really like it... but then I bought a MM Stingray... I believe this update is drastic enough... (and it sure is money-wise here in Europe)