Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I Love My Cort

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Petary791, May 7, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yes I do. I was playing it today and I yanked off the B string for 2 reasons.

1. I want a 4 string real bad.
    2. The B string is dead anyways.

So anyways, I'm playing on it and i'm like "Damn I love how this bass plays!" The body is really nice too, but I really want a 4 string. Is there anyway I could get a new neck for this thing? I've heard something about a Moses neck but I know absolutely NOTHING about necks at all. Thanks a ton!

2. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Why not just try restringing your fiver EADGC, so you get as close as possible to a 4-banger without having to hack up your bass or buy a new one. Buying a set of really nice strings and perhaps a new nut (or nut shim) is certainly cheaper than the other options.

Typically, a 4-string neck won't fit into a 5-string's neck pocket, because the heel width on a 5-string is, well, wider/bigger. To make it fit, it would have to be shimmed, but methinks that might compromise the structural integrity some, and one part of the "tone" formula is a tight neck to body connection that doesn't choke the instrument's resonance.

You have a 5 and a 6, so why do you want a 4? To facilitate ease of slapping, particularly on the E-string? If that's the case, then I can see wanting a 4 for the wider string spacing. I have a similar arsenal to yours and my main player these days is a Warwick 4-string. So I can understand why you'd want a 4. But if money is tight by you and you want to make the best with the basses you currently have, you have almost nothing to lose by trying to string your fiver EADGC. At worst, you're only out $30- $40 for a set of strings (okay, and $35 or so for a setup, since the truss rod needs to be tweaked to best accomodate an EADGC) and it's far less money than Frankenbass mods or a new bass.

If you do decide to go with a Moses neck and hack up the bass, your mods may end up costing you more money than if you had just went out and bought an inexpensive, but still high quality, 4-string (i.e. MTD Kingston) in the first place.

3. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    How bad was that B srtring?
    I think that you wont be able to put a 4 string neckin a 5 string neck pocket unless you fill the gap (and the holes of the 5 string bridge when you'll change it) and repaint the bass in a solid color.

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Alright nevermind then. :)

Thanks for the help.

5. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I play with a high C and love it- just get a new nut cut and try it out!

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So where can I get a nizzut?

Also, to get this nut off, do I just pry it with a screwdriver or what?