Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I love my DC BASS!!! Weee!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassline_Delux, Mar 9, 2005.

1. I recently ordered a New Old Stock Danelectro DC Bass. It arrived this moring, been playing for 4 hours straight :) Well, it plays great (Action a little high for my usual taste, but awesome for pick playing) Volume and tone controls for both pickups (50's Alnico Lipstick) Its soo light and souds great. And then I accidently found out that if I turn the knobs all the way to 10(pup volume) It goes all gritty, and its like my Peavey Firebass is tube! Well, not quite, but awesome none the less.

2. Where did you get it from? I am gassing for a DC bass.

3. Ebay. It kicks so muc hass New Old Stock, red...ohh I love it to bits.

4. Dude do you have any pictures of it?

P.S. Yeah i know, old thread. Sorry!

5. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I have a NOS Dano Hodad. Love it to death, but the neck dive is hard to deal with.

6. There's 2 DC basses at one of mjy local music stores. great for pick playing

7. Yes I do have pictures of it. I'll get em' on as soon as I can. Amazingly enough, after a not so short homemade setup, including a shim, I managed to get this bass set up for tapping! Thats right, this has actually become my main tapping bass. Who would of thought?!

8. bump man!

9. Soulbanana

Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    Singapore
    My DC Silver Sparkle is my main gig bass. Even after 3 sets, no shoulder pain. I've only drilled holes for straplocks, but other than that, she's all stock. Well-finished, level frets and a very comfy neck make for some serious low-end mongering. And don't get me started on the tone!

With TI Jazz Flats, any thing is possible, but most of all, that hollow, boomy Dano tone with its swirly upper mids. I'm a Jazz Bass guy, but this Dano is definitely a keeper for me.

I leave both pickups on full, but different combinations of the tone pots give you heaps different tones. The taper on my concentric pots is even good. That was the first thing I thought I would have a problem with, but no complaints here. Even taper and no scratches and pops. Best money I ever spent!

10. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I loved my Dano DC...a buddy sweet talked me out of it. I strung it with Rotosound black nylons.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Keef

Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    The Danelectro website doesn't have any basses (!!!) and I can't find any of them on online stores, either. Did Dano stop producing basses? What gives?

(just when I was considering a Longhorn, too..!)

12. yes, they stopped making them. Its a shame really.

13. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
  14. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    oMG!!!111ONe!@!12
    Ju5T leIk Ph4t MIk3!@1222214

[​IMG]

Kidding...but yeah...I'm gassing for one harsh....sooo nice. I've heard they are like really light...like how many lbs?

15. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    6 lbs

16. Keef

Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    :scowl: I can't believe it, 74rick! Thanks for the info, though.

17. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I have a sweet defretted DC in commie red with the white pg and it is way way better than it should be considering the construction and the price. It actually sounds j-bass like with everything dimed, and yoy can roll of the neck for a nice j-bass mid dip.

Great stuff!

:bassist:

Oh yea, fat mike is super bad.

18. Here you go. This is my DC bass plugged straight into a regular soundcard and recorded on wavelab. Please, excuse the worlds worst tapping.

19. And while I'm at it. It does harmonics too:

20. Soulbanana

Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    Singapore
    That's not the world's worst! I can't even tap. That's the great thing about Dano's. No matter what you play into, that low / low-mid register tone is unmistakeably Dano. That's why I love the ol' plywood plank.