1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I Love My Foundation!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The last two days, I have been playing Fender Jazzes, MIA, MIM, CIJ, none of them can hang with my Foundation. Part of it may be that some store basses just are not set up very well, but my Foundationsimply sounds better. It totally nails an aggressive J slap tone. It absolutely nails the Jaco bridge pickup tone too. BTW, I have noticed that some of the new S-1 Switch Jazz Basses really come up short on the trying to get the Jaco tone. I wonder what's up. The only Fender that is in the ballpark is the Geddy Lee, but my Foundation has much better pickup output. I think I'm going to pick another up next week on ebay.:cool:

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    This is my Foundation:

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I wish I could have my old one back. I loved that bass, but I needed the money. I'll have to buy one in the future when I get some money.

4. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Man, that's awesome. There are some beautiful basses on here that really get me GASn. Those Foundations are nice.

5. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    +1

I love mine as well. It really cuts in the mix and the band loves it when I bring it out, not that they complain about the Cirrus, but they do love the tone of the Foundation. One of them called it a Jazz with a stronger fundamental.

6. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    My first bass was a foundation. After a few years I decided I wanted to upgrade ... I searched and searched for something "better" and had a really tough time finding anything in music shops.

Only downside is the weight.

7. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I have a Foundation Fretless, paid $150 used, and I'll never need to look for another fretless bass. Great tone, great playability. Some day I suppose I should get a fretted one so I have a matched pair. :)

8. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    I love mine too!

9. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Inactive

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    i love my eyeliner.

10. Well, maybe they don't want them that way. Personally I think that's fine 'cus I don't use a jaco style tone

11. I regret selling my fiver. Those are great basses, wicked pickups.

12. +1 I assume that's the one I had the pleasure of checking out when we got together a while back. Great sounding and playing bass!!!!

13. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I finally let mine go to a friend and former bandmate...I have access to it, thankfully. One helluva fine bass. The Super Ferrite pickups were excellent-hell, they were even better than that. My Dyna is essentially the same setup when played passively, but the ash body of my Foundation did add its own mojo to the mix. That was the last bass that I have sold. It hurt. Still does.

Kim

14. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    I used to have two Foundations. One fretted sunburst with a rosewood fretboard, and one natural fretless (defretted) with a maple board.

I loved both of them. The tone was great, and the necks were super thin and fast. The fretted one was my first decent bass, and I bought it new in 1983 with money that I had saved up by mowing lawns as a kid.

The only reason that I sold both of them was because the upper horn is a little short, and it doesn't quite reach to the 12th fret. I'm short, so when I wore the basses on a strap at the height that I liked, it made it hard for me to play in 1st and 1/2 position. The reach was far, and my wrist would be at a very acute angle. If I lowered the bass on the strap to let me play at the end of the neck, it was too low for my right hand.

It's a real shame, though, because I loved those basses.

15. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Thats how I started. I'm now up to 4 and selling off Fenders.

16. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    bwaa haa - it was bound to happen sooner or later

17. jobo4

jobo4

Apr 19, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I've liked every USA Peavey I have ever played. But I usually end up with Fender or MM inspired basses because they feel really comfortable to me.

But, I wish I still had my 79 T40.:crying: 14 pound beast that it was!

18. My foundation is made of borring old concrete :)

19. Blackbird

Blackbird Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Old USA Peaveys rock. I got one being delivered to me next week. I can't wait.

20. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    Scored a 1993 black foundation with poplar body on ebay. It was literally sitting in a closet all this time. It's flawless and the case looks brand new.

I want to put flatwounds on it, but Peavey is out of the truss rods and I don't want to change strings until I have the trussrod tool. Sigh.......

[​IMG]

Mike