1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I love my G&L L5500!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by armybass, Jan 8, 2012.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I got this bass off of an old friend here on TB a few months ago but it has taken a while to work it into the rotation for gigs. I sat my 1986 Yamaha BB5000 and let the G&L show it's stuff tonight. I had an L5500 years ago but I do not remember it playing as well and this bass. It was a great bass and sounded as good as this one but man that big ole beefy neck felt great in my hands..... I seem to remember the other L5500 being a bit unruly with its chunky neck. Not this one....killer tone and just a dream to play.
    390174_2714456912763_1597167741_2369318_2068443537_n.

2. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    I'm glad you're enjoying it Scott. I loved the tone and feel but it was just too heavy for me. I can't believe they didn't sell more of those, the sound is really great.

It would be very interesting to compare an L-5500 to the new M-2500 for sound.

3. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Thanks Brad..... it is not a feather weight for sure but I did a four hour gig with it last night with no issues. I think I am very fortunate that regardless of my chronic back problems I have not had an issues gigging heavy basses. I have always been a fan of EMG's but what is neat about this bass is that I believe due to the placing of the pickups the bass still sounds characteristically G&L-ish.

4. The trans-blue one? Ya, I bought that one from you several years ago. Your memory about the neck is spot on, quite a handful. That neck measured wider and thicker than another 5500 I had.

Killin' big sound, but just too darn heavy for me. (sigh)

5. Lordcliff

Lordcliff

May 19, 2006
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I had two of them years ago, one green/rosewood the other honey burst/maple. I found one on ebay about two months ago, got it for pretty cheap. Great bass. Is that honey burst? mine has a cherry burst finish.
    I found one in Dallas for sale, a blue one, tempted to contact the seller about it.
    Did you get that off of ebay about 5 months ago? I was eyeballing that one.

6. viclobocga

viclobocga

Feb 4, 2013
    I own a L5500 90's Bass, modded to 18V a real terrific sounding bass; I was wondering if someone can provide a web link where I can find what price these rare basses are selling for.

7. hillbilly444

hillbilly444

Jan 19, 2014
    Vancouver
    I just traded an Ibanez 924 for a G&L L5500. This thing is in amazing condition. Its big and heavy and plays like it was made for me. I haven't put it down in days. Took me a while to harness the booming sound of the active electronics. I found it muddy and the sound less than well....dynamic. By turning down the volume about 25% and cranking the bass with a little boost to the treble it comes out real nice. I am amazed a the value of these basses considering the high quality of the build. Easily worth double the usual $600 they go for.

Attached Files: