1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I love my guitarist, but if he slams my pick ups once more.......?!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Cuzzie, Feb 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    I dunno about you guys but.......

I have a Cabronita P Bass and a Fender Starcaster, now i know the Fidelitron is not the highest output pickup, but it has a lovely sound. Similarly the Starcaster has 2 big humbuckers and gives a good rich sound, but he constantly refers to them as being 'farty' and not cutting through the mix, apparently modern music needs more punch, but i do like some subtlety.

Our bases are like our children, and if he offends them, he offends me!

Do i just say 'yes dear' and let him play more loudly like guitarists do, or when my lovely G&L ASAT comes from @ASATMAN in the next few days, do i crank my system, B7K pedal etc. and blow him away.

Whatcha reckon fellas, is he right and are those pick ups are a bit 'farty'?

spaz21387 and ThePresident777 like this.
  2. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Ask him to clearly define in no uncertain terms what he means by "farty". Then smash him in the face with your bass.

Teacher, Catbuster, SnoMan and 37 others like this.
  3. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Doubt you'll even be able to hear his commentary once you plug in that ASAT. ;-)

Hard to tell if he's right without being there but no question some basses do cut thru more than others. You might find different basses fit certain scenarios, which is a great excuse to buy more!

4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Just blow him away, and use the Starcaster to do it.

BlueAliceOasis and Short-scale like this.
  5. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    love the solidarity.

What he does not realise is that i have been keeping the volume a bit lower as we practice in a garage and my amp makes the house and drums shake!

Suppose i could buy a bigger amp......

6. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

What's probably happening is the Starcaster is dominating the entire low/low mid frequency spectrum and it's making it harder for him to hear his guitar the way he has his amp EQ'd. Just out of curiously, what type of guitar and rig is he using? Les Paul with buckers and a Marshall?

7. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    @petrus61 it appears you are he Jedi master - he indeed is using a Les Paul, but upgraded from mesa boogie to a Friedman Pink Taco, which is pretty much a Marshal on steroids.
    Not sure if he is not hearing himself, or not hearing me.
    I did have a Kramer D-1 to start and he preferred the way it cut through, but it isn't me to play, so i cleared it out to make way for the ASAT.
    Recently i added a creation audio labs MK4.23 to get a bit of clean boost to the mix to bring the Cab and Star to the forefront as well as the rest of the board.

Have to say i am a newbie to bass, only a year or so i the making and he has been playing a while.

Any advice is good advice!

petrus61 likes this.
  8. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    sorry, the kramer had an EMG

9. Oldschool94

Oldschool94

Jan 9, 2015
    "If non-bass players notice something about your tone, something is probably wrong." – Ancient proverb

Finaks, Mattrill, BrentD and 7 others like this.
  10. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    :(

:)D)

11. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I would simply/nicely/calmly/[professionally tell him each person is responsible for their own sound, and he can stick it.

RBrownBass, MTN.bass72 and Cuzzie like this.
  12. CatSquare

CatSquare

Mar 7, 2014
    Farty pickups? There's a new one.

Sounds to me like either your amp/cab aren't getting it done, or what petrus is suggesting: you're overlapping sonic space with him.
    Seems to me that a bass-heavy tone is to guitarists what scooped mids are to bassists - sounds good in the bedroom but does not play well with others. If this is what's happening then get a broom and shoo him out of there, right quick: "Git on git! Varmint! Git!!"

13. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    I have a solid state TC electronic BG250-115. I could tinker with its EQ a little bit.

There is probably an element of truth in everything everyone has said.

Bedroom play on both our sides, not tinkered together.
    Small room so difficult to hear the mix/acoustics
    If i put my volume much past about 3-4 the room and contents shake!

14. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Maybe if you both turned down rather than up?

15. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    2 E Z

16. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    I turn down to encourage him to! This does however affect hearing my subsonic power sound!

Think he likes his new amp so he likes to play it!

I have been given the go ahead by the mrs to build a sound room in the garden, may be the cure so we can turn up and not wake the neighbourhood!

17. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Seriously, just keep turning down and ask him how he likes the change - find out whether he knows what he is talking about. A LONG time ago I did that with a guitarist. When my volume was all the way down, he said he liked the balance better, and liked how the band sounded. When I pointed out that the only thing was guitar and drums, it kind of made the point.

Cuzzie likes this.
  18. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Hilarious!

He is a good guy, and he comes up with some cool riffs. When we mess about he is the kind of guitarist that likes the bass to follow what he is doing, i think as i get more confident i can stamp a few more bits in there.

This is all good advice tho guys

19. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Berate his shoes. Guitarists hate it when you berate their shoes.

SnoMan, mech, Spectrum and 14 others like this.
  20. Milo's

Milo's Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Fart repeatedly at practice and when they complain just tell them it is not you, it is the pickups. I also agree with the post above to make fun of his shoes for no other reason than to knock him down a few pegs. If the shoes don't work, start making comments about his weight.