1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I love my Hofner Icon!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ToadWarrior, Jun 10, 2012.

1. It was my first bass, and I pretty much haven't looked at it for a few years since I got my Fender J and recently my Rick (which I have mixed feeling about.) and joined a blues/hardrock band.

Anyway I am home for the weekend and forgot to bring my Jazz and any bass amplication....

So I went and dug out the Hofner and plugged into my VoxAC30.
    And dear lord...... I am in love with it...

So uhh I kinda feel like I've wasted my time and money with those other basses, but I guess it's a learning experience, and I'm pretty sure that shortscale is for me, I'll have to try it out in a band setting but I just love the sound and feel.

I'm sure no one really cares, so I guess I'll finish by asking for some recommendations, what shortscales should I try out? I think I'm definitely gonna try to acquire a Hofner club of some sort, but I'd be willing to consider anything.

Thanks!

2. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    I own a Hofner Icon violin bass and a Hofner Icon Club bass. Both are very cool, esp with La Bella Beatle Bass flat wound strings.

Try a Waterstone Indra, VERY cool semi hollow short scale bass.

Also, I have a Dantelectro Dano 63 short scale bass I like very much.

They Eastwood Club bass is very cool too, if you can find one.

Enjoy!

3. Nobody

Nobody Inactive

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel
    Eastwood Hi-Flyer for something a little different but still shortscale. It's a solid body with big single coils.

OOD likes this.
  4. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

The Icon is an amazing bass for the price. With tapewounds it sounds just like a "real" Hofner. But for about $1,000 less!

While it probably doesn't suit all kinds of music (like a Jazz bass would) it is suprisingly versatile.