1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I love my Jack Cassady, but what to do about feedback?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by santacruzom, Apr 5, 2006.

1. I recently purchased a Jack Cassady Signature bass, and I love the thing. The trouble is, it's very prone to feedback. I'm new to this sort of thing and really don't know what to do about it. Is it as simple as stepping as far away from my cabinet as possible? Unfortunately this isn't always possible, as most of our gigs are on small stages. I think the problem is exacerbated by the fact that some of our songs require me to strum an open string while also strumming a fretted string... the open string constantly ringing out seems to make matters worse.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    You could use a noise gate of some sort. Boss Noise Suppressor will do the trick. You could also use a notch filter, which is a type of EQ. Use the notch filter by "notching out" the freq. that you hear. I've seen acoustic guitar amps that have a notch filter built into them.

3. I had a hollow body Mosrite bass that used to feedback whenever I got near or faced my amp. I packed the body with foam that I got out of a packing crate - it was a sponge-type material. I was able to get the foam in through the "F" holes and by removing the contol knob cover. It pretty well solved the feedback problem.

I don't know if that's something you want to try or can even do - the "F" holes on that "Jack Cassady" aren't near as wide as the ones on my Mosrite.

I'm not sure what the story is with hollow body basses. If you turn up the volume they start squealing! They are cool though! Good luck!

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I would try to get as much distance as possible between your bass and amp , I have never had this problem with my Jack Bass.

5. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    +1
    Filling any hollow body instrument with foam rubber will greatly prevent feedback.