Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I love my new Digitech JamMan!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bad_andy, Dec 10, 2005.

1. bad_andy

bad_andy

Sep 21, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Wow! I've officially made my second purchase recommended by postitive TB user feedback , a Digitech JamMan with the optional 3 button footswitch. So far it's been everything that I was hoping for. The sound is good, the critical operations are hands free and once I spent a little while fiddling with it and referring to the manual, it was really intuitive to use. The 24 minutes of memory it comes with is plenty to get you started. I've got big plans for this thing for practice and gigging.

Recording new loops is handled three ways. You can either set up a metronome count for a guaranteed punch in and out on the beat or you can set it to work freeform from your manual start/stop or from an auto record mode. The main thing to master was the timing that it likes to use to set the end point of a loop when using it without the built in tempo function. As long as you remember to tap the end point on the one of the next measure after you want the loop to start again the device loops seemlessly.

You can easily overdub loops that you've recorded. If you are performance oriented (either solo or live with a band) you can build on top of loops that you've already captured by simply leaving the overdub mode on. Everytime the loop comes back to the start point it adds another layer to what you've already played. You get enough rope to either climb new heights or hang yourself depending on your point of view.

This pedal seems great for practice or writing. I own both a computer based audio workstation and a copy of Band In A Box and while both of them have been great for practice and writing tunes, I love how easily I can sketch things out with this pedal. I plugged in my 4 string Jazz bass and layered basslines overdubbed with 2 and 3 note chord extensions within 20 minutes of cracking the manual. I then amused myself for a couple of hours singing lyrics and soloing over diffent loops of myself. (BTW, changing the tone of your instrument between overdubs really helps the parts lay well together.) I love this option for practice. It's faster for me to just play a chord progression than to enter it into BIAB. I love how player friendly controlling things with my feet was compared to having to keep a hand free to control my DAW.

I'm still figuring out all of the functions but I'd say that the additional footswitch is worth the extra cost for being able to auto record or step through the saved loops with my feet. It has a USB port which allows it to mount as a removable drive under XP/OS X with the loops showing up as .wav files. You can either save something good that you've captured onto your hard drive or save sounds that you've prepared on your computer for playback from the pedal. I plan to take advantage of both features.

I'm want to upgrade the memory to a 1 GB card for 3 hours of loop time so that I can load the pedal with accompaniment for solo playing. If you break that down to verse/chorus/ending or A section/B section/ending, that's 33 tunes that you can control on the fly. If you have one or more loops that you want to play in a given sequence, you just queue up the next one you want and it plays as soon as the current loop finishes. Pretty sweet. :bassist:

As far a using it to capture goes, I have the perfect use for this one too. One of the guitarists that I work with is really busy this time of year, so getting together to work out new tunes can be tricky. Next time we set up for a show, I'm going to have him play new chord progressions into the pedal so I can take them with me to play with at my leisure to work out basslines and solos. I like this option because unlike just writing the chords down, I can practice with a part that my bandmate would play.

All in all, this is one case of GAS for which I'm glad to have succumbed. I look forward to the next great idea that you guys turn me onto. Thanks! :D

2. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    Quick, possibly dumb question, but I haven't found any answers yet: Yeah, I know it's a "loop" station, but does it do any delay-type effects? Seems like that might naturally go along with the looping. If it does any sort of delay, I'll prolly have to pick one up--with my financial situation ATM I can't really justify spending that much on pure looping, but if I get anything else out of it, I'd definitely consider it.

-Dash

3. i don't believe the jamman does delays, although the lexicon jamman does have a delay unit along with the looping...

i still think a looper is one of the best things a bassist can buy!

4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    You might like the Boss Gigadelay, then. It's mainly a delay, but I believe it also does simple looping too.

Does anyone know for-sure?

Joe

5. yep...the DD20 can do up to 23 seconds, and i believe there is some way to get up to 46 seconds of delay...wow!

6. bad_andy

bad_andy

Sep 21, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    The smallest loop that you can record is 3 seconds. As a looper this thing rocks, but for delay I'd get a dedicated pedal. I've played with the Gigadelay and it seems pretty intuitive and power for delay work.

7. bad_andy

bad_andy

Sep 21, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Let the people say amen! :bassist:

8. JazzBassvb

JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    Amen!

Though, I've had mine for almost a year now (RC20xl), and I've still having trouble getting the loops timed correctly.

I do appreciate the advice given and I'm going to try that next time.

The looper, however, has been awesome in getting improv lines recorded so I can remember what on earth I did that last jam session. Very great tool!

JB