Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I love my 'ol Sunns!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fred Mertz, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Fred Mertz

Fred Mertz

Jun 15, 2003
    Nor-Cal
    I am currently gigging with 2 old Sunn Model T's. 120watts of all tube power each. These amps were a step up from the 2 Showman's I used to use. More clarity and more punch!

I need all the clarity and punch I can get since I use flats with a pick. I use these amps over a 4-10 cab. and a 2-15 cab.

To me these amps are close to the holy grail.

Anyone else enjoying these great amps?

Fred :bassist:

2. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I have a Sunn Sorado which rocks my socks as well as a Sunn 1200S. Definately my favorite amps to which I benchmark everything else.

3. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
  4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    At least my Sunn logos match. :smug:

5. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    True but do you have an amp from almost every decade? Didn't think so :p

6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I was playing my father's Sunn Beta yesterday, and I had forgotten just how sweet it sounded, very fat but still with great definition.

I'm not big into vintage amps, but when it comes to them, I'll take a Sunn over an Ampeg anyday.

7. i have an older (1973) model t
    simplicety at it's finest !!
    i used it for years, w/o any problems. 5 or 6 gigs a week and back in the van before it cooled down.
    i still have it and still use it.
    imo one of the best amps ever made.built like a tank. i really like the channel blend input,switchable impedience and the presence control.i run the master on 10 and channel volumes accordingly for a clean tight sound.i use a p/bass.flatwounds,and jbl 15's (i'm old school).
    it blows away any new amp.

simple maintainence will keep it going forever.all i ever did was change power tubes and rebias.
    (one thing about mine,when it was time for power tubes it would start distorting immedietly.that was the signal)

i also have an old svt and if it gets to the point where one has to go i'd keep the sunn.

8. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Man, I would love to snag an original Model T one day. all I hear are good things about that amp

9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Ditto.

10. they pop up on ebay often.
    so far the "vintage" people have laid off the sunn amps so you can still get one at a reasonable price.

a amp made like that would cost $2.500 now.they were $700
    in 73.
    you could probably get one for $500

11. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Considering I got both my heads for roughly $200 each, I still consider that to be expensive. :p

12. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I joined the Sunn club also, I just picked up this 200s cheap, It needs a complete going through with all new tubes and rebias but it's the perfect matchup for my 80's 215B. Any suggestion on Tube choice for this head? There are no power tubes in it, does this amp run KT88's or 6550's?
    [​IMG]

13. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Depends on what era it's from. If it's before 1969, they came with KT88s. If it was after '69, they came with 6550s. Either will work, all you need is a rebias. If you want more clean headroom and a bit more of a hi-fi sound, then go with the KT88s.

Can you get a better pic of that? My clean rig is going to look pretty much identical to that, although i'm probably gonna ditch the black grilleclothe and put silver stuff on to match the head. :cool:

14. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I'll snap a few better pics tomorrow when the sunlight is shinning.. How can I tell the year of this badboy? The only Schematic I found on the webb uses KT88's so I think I'm going to go that route anyway.
    Thanks for the info, Any preference to brand of KT's to install?

15. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I've never gotten a bad JJ tube from eurotubes (although they were preamp tubes). I've also heard good things about the Sovtek KT88, even though I can't stand sovtek preamp tubes. Right now my 200s has Groove Tubes 6550s, and as soon as I get some extra money, i'm ripping them out and installing JJs in it, anyways.

16. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    There should be a yellow tube layout on the inside of the amp on the left hand side to tell you all it has in there.

I would also suggest JJ tubes for new tubes

17. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Model T's usually go quite a bit higher than most Sunn amps. I haven't seen one go for under 700 in the past few months

18. I'm a solid state guy by birth but the old Model T is the only tuber that I would ever consider gig worthy. I used one as a sub way back in the 70's with a Peavey 6x12 and it was niiiiice. I loved the open top with the visible tubes.