Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I love my wife

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Skel, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Maybe some of you can relate to this. I have some bass gear in my bedroom - I just happen to like to practice in my bedroom, and kind of "stage", and/or get used to any new gear I get here. My wife doesn't care as long as it's neat and clean, which it is.

The other day, I snuck in a black Geddy Lee, and put my black MIM precision under the bed. This is the first time I've done something like this, and I wasn't sure what the outcome would be. She hasn't noticed at all. I'm getting ready to swap out my SVT-410HLF cab with my new SVT-610 HLF, and now, I'm sure she won't notice.

So, the moral of the story is that people don't pay much attention to what our gear looks like. You would have to have something extraordinary for the average person to notice. I think women would most notice a really nice natural wood finish on a bass - something that goes with the kitchen cabinets. I'm convinced I would not be able to sneak something like this in.

Skel

2. That part gave me a good chuckle. I'm too young to be married and my girlfriend wouldn't know a natural finish from a high-gloss neon green flame job, so I don't have to go sneaking around :p :D

3. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    My wife would be happier if everything was upholstered or painted to match the room that it sits in. She hates all the "black" boxes that are speaker cabinets, amps, gig bags, cases, etc.

I bet I could get away with a whole new rig if it just matched the furniture!

:p

4. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    thats funny. I heard a story about a guy at a snowmobile shop that had to have it in yellow. His reason being he's been buying a new sled every year and his wife's never been the wiser.

5. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    I put all my basses in the same type of case - so when I bring something up from the basement to take to rehearsal - it all looks the same. Little does my wife know that these generic black cases hold a variety of basses she doesn't know I own.

6. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    It's a little harder for me (I paly a blue flake modulus), but my parents didn't even know I had my jazz (natural/white as opposed to blue sparkly) until I said I sold it and had a big wad of cash.

7. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

If you would like to stay married, or at least have the respect form your wife that you'd like, don't lie to your wife or try to be sneaky. It's a bad move. I know. I bought a new cabinet while she was visiting her cousin. When I told her about it, she understood that I needed a new cabinet but was pissed that I did it without letting her in on the expensive purchase. Of course all marrages are different, but that's how we both do it. It's a lot healthier for both of you.

Just explain that your gear pays for itself. Chances are, her hobby doesn't pay for itself, so it's a great excuse to get what you want. It may mean that you have to limit the number of basses to X number, but that may be a reasonable compromise.

There's always the, "wife receipt". Just ask your dealer; he'll know.:D

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    If you don't want her keeping things from you, you shouldn't keep things from her. Showing respect earns respect.

The longer you are married, the more you will understand this. There's a difference in establishing an underlayment of trust that keeps people from getting divorced later when they hit a bump in the road. You'll need that trust later, believe me . . .

9. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    My Ex-wife will back you up on that:( :(

10. Coming up on 16 years. I too love my wife more than words can reasonably express. She knows my gear, knows my basses, my amp, the cords, the PA, my tuner, you name it. Nothing gets by her. I couldn't imagine trying to sneak a new bass past her. Glad it's workin' for you :)

11. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I love my wife more than I ever thought a person was capable of loving someone.

After a bad marriage where my ex basically sucked the soul out of me and I stopped playing...

When my wife (my current...and last one) and I were dating she told me that if I quit painting or playing music, she'd kick my ass! She knew it was a part of me, as much as my arms or my eyes, etc. She knew it was just who I am.

So, when I want something, I always let her know and we work something out. I believe it's always best to just be honest.

12. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    You guys are cracking me up! At least I'm not the only one. I've tried the honest route, but I just can't stand getting yelled at for so long. "Why do you need another black guitar -you already have one"? (and notice it's always a "guitar", even though it's a bass). What she doesn't understand, is that I have so much stuff, that I *will* sell some of it to pay for the new stuff - I'm good for it. And would I want her buying stuff without telling me? Yes, I would...I even prefer that.

Skel

13. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I make my wife sleep on the couch.

:D ;)

14. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Oh, and one last thing. She always eventually finds out, then I get yelled at really bad, I promise not to ever do it again, and 3 months later I do it again.

Skel

15. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Please! Laughing this hard hurts!

Skel

16. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    you could always use it to your advantage. the next time she complains that you havent noticed her haircut, ask her if she has noticed that you have a new jazz sitting out. haha

ok, dont take me seriously here. i am gonna have to plead insanity on any charges brought upon me by my above statements. :)

17. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    HA HA HA HA HA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stop!

Skel

18. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Actually, 2 of her "haircuts" = one Geddy Lee. So, I don't feel very bad, but I'm terrible at arguing.

Skel

19. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    A piece of advice for those who don't want to go the honest route...

If you are going to do it anyway...just do it and get the argument over with.

If you tell her you want something, she'll argue with you about it. Then when you actually do it anyway, she'll argue with you again.

Just do it and have only one fight about it.

20. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    My girlfriend doesn't notice any of my basses.

But then I got this really old and beat up Warmoth with a lacewood body.

She got attached to that. LOVED it!
    My new Yamaha TRB6p? Didn't notice!