I Love Old Fender Necks but, ...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Acoop, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Not at all.

20 vote(s)
    27.0%
  2. Maybe, a little

15 vote(s)
    20.3%
  3. You're wigged out.

33 vote(s)
    44.6%
  4. Dude, I've got Netflix to catch up on.

6 vote(s)
    8.1%
  1. Acoop

Acoop

Feb 21, 2012
    I found this on Reverb and it's expensive but, it would feel wonderful under my old fingers. ,,, But, did Fender switch to the 'modern' P-bass headstock in 1958 or 1957? ... This one is dated 1957. ...

1957 Fender Precision Bass guitar neck. Spectacular vintage vibe. SUMMER SALE!

The neck date, looks like 4/57, to my old eyes, but, could be 9/57. ... Thought I'd ask if anyone may know if, it was introduced part way through 57? ... I always thought 1958.

PS I do realize Fender now produces a 57-reissue but, I don't find Fender reissues as 'that exact' to the originals. ...
    Case in point. ... A Fender Custom Shop 57 with a rosewood fretboard???
    Fender Custom Shop 1957 Journeyman Relic Precision Bass | eBay

Rosewood/slab boards were not introduced till 1959.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. On the ‘57 neck, looks more like a 9.
    On the custom shop Fender...that’s a rosewood neck...not just the fretboard!

3. Acoop

Acoop

Feb 21, 2012
    Fender didn't make a Rosewood board or neck in 1957, so, why call it a 57?

4. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    What do you mean "modern" headstock? The change from the original (similar to a Telecaster guitar)to the modern larger headstock happened in '57. Is there another substantial change documented in '59?

5. It must be authentic...
    it has a cigarette burn by the E. ;)

I wish I knew enough to tell you the date was definately Tedeo Gomez' writing.
    Maybe someone will come along that is that knowlegable.

I can say for certain it is out of my price range.

Lance Bunyon, nixdad and jamro217 like this.
  6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Somewhere around mid-'57. That definitely looks like a 9 to me.

Sting's small headstock P bass neck is dated 4/57...it also has an alder body instead of ash.

sneha1965 and Acoop like this.
  7. BassholeKI

BassholeKI

Feb 10, 2017
    I vote for the first number being a 9.

Can see how you might think it's a 4, but I can see the top of the written digit curling over.

Acoop and Pbassmanca like this.
  8. Well, regardless of what the actual date is, ask yourself if it's worth as much as a Custom Shop P and a Mesa Subway. Then consider that you still have to add the remainder of a bass around it just to see whether it's straight, warped or uncomfortable. If you are wealthy, have an extremely high standard for vintage perfection and see this as an opportunity (for you, not the seller), go ahead. Otherwise, WAKE UP, MAN!!!!

9. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Looks like 9-57. Wonder if it's the same guy who made this 11-55.
    2D6F744C-C978-41CD-90A8-BD24D78D3649.jpeg

10. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yes. Rosewood fingerboard came out in '59.
    Before that was only maple.

11. There is a whole '61 P bass (refin) for much less than that on CL here unless you specifically don't want rosewood

jamro217 likes this.
  12. The neck dates pictured look like they were done in a hurry.
    Also, it's awkward to hold a neck and write on the heel. Try it.

Could be a 4 or a nine.
    Look up pics of other neck dates from the same era and compare the 4s and 9s.

I never believed that any guitar company made a perfectly clean and absolute switch on such and such a day/month.
    A few necks may have been misplaced or in another department or installed on prototypes or being used to paddle canoes, then returned to the assembly line long after the "official" switch date.
    A hungover worker can easily forget what year it is...

Acoop and Gaolee like this.
  13. Netflicks to catch up on binging “the 100”at the moment. Lol

Acoop likes this.
  14. navijaz

navijaz Guest

Sep 20, 2016
    Mate, don't build the world's most expensive parts bass.

Have a beautiful vacation with that kind of money instead.

Just saying. Thank me later :)

96tbird, Robert B, jamro217 and 2 others like this.
  15. inthevelvet

inthevelvet Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Washington DC
    I know vintage guys gotta have their vintage stuff. My 2 observations:

Even for vintage, that seems way overpriced.

You could buy a really nice bass and amp that would be guaranteed to sound great and have money left over for what he’s asking for a neck that may or may not even play well.

16. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    OK, you're asking about the fingerboard, not the headstock. That caused the confusion.

I mean the original post, not Caca.

Still don't see any reason to doubt the dating. The photos show a one-piece maple neck with the large headstock. That is correct for a '57. I can't figure why OP even brings up '59 in this discussion.

As for OP's sanity, I don't know (even with my 40 year old BA in Psychology), but for ME, $4K for a neck only is ludicrous. I would buy either a Fullerton Vintage Series '57 or a Lakland 44-64 if I needed or really wanted a maple P. But as I already have the ultimate P bass in my '83 Vintage Series '62 I bought April 15, 1983, even those choices are not considered.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  17. nerkoids

nerkoids

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    Odd... where are the divot holes for the old Kluson tuning machines? The indentations we see there are tiny, and suggests the later mid-60s to early 70s in-house tuning machines were installed instead.

The screw holes seem right, though.

Acoop likes this.
  18. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I thought these were usually dated with a pencil?
    You have no idea if the neck is straight
    It's way over priced
    Due to manufacturing tolerances, I wouldn't risk that kind of coin as you can not be sure that it wold be a perfect bolt on without screwing around
    These necks were not identical due to the amount of handwork; it may not feel exactly like your buddies
    Much better advice to buy a vintage Fender that is not made from parts or modified; a refin is usually a bargain
    If bought at a sane price, they hold theri resale very well

Run do not walk away from this

inthevelvet and Frank77 like this.
  19. Luigir

Luigir

Mar 15, 2018
    2k for a neck? Is it a Tiffany necklace?
    Screenshot_2018-08-18-16-24-25.jpg
    :roflmao:

20. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Here
    I thought the spaghetti "Fender" logo on 50s basses were in gold, not silver? (somebody who knows please respond)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021