1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I love pawn shops !!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dark Horse, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I know lotta you don’t like pawnshops, but I love them. I find great deals at them regularly, but I also shot them regular way. Anyway, here’s today’s find .... Don’t know if I’m going to keep it or not, but definitely could not pass it up!

0A5FDEC5-D300-4964-B2F0-E57E69C3F776. 501F61A8-DBDB-4FED-9E34-4B6055C60044. CD2C5610-B82F-40CD-A5DB-5FD05E6DB296. 017FE960-A2BA-441D-97B1-22E4C6ADFEE3. B40EE094-1808-4A40-872A-981874125AE9.

2. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Some towns have better pawn shops than others. You certainly take full advantage of yours, congrats!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  3. In the pre-internet days, I struck some amazing deals at all the mom & pop pawn shops around my large town. Not anymore. With the dawn of internet and connectivity, speculation about price became a thing of the past. Pawn shops today have very standardized pricing—like the old Blue Book pricing for used cars.

4. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

The most part, yeah. However, I have bought tons of things in the past couple years at extreme bargains

American special Precision base for $300 in like new shape.

Made in Japan precision bass for $175

This American standard Precision ran me $560

Ernie Ball Sterling Ray34 for $200.

Tecamp Puma 1000 and S212 cab for $800 total.... plus I traded in the Ray34 and got $350 credit, so I just paid the difference

Honestly, the list goes on and on

But I hit the pawnshops every week pretty much, so I definitely take full advantage.

5. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    This has been my experience too. Back in the good ole days, you could score some amazing stuff if you knew what you were looking for. I have bought lots of great stuff at pawn shops. Some I flipped for a a nice profit.

Now, a cursory look at eBay or Reverb and a pawn shop knows what they've got.

6. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

$560 is a great price for that bass. Isn't that one of the 2001 50th Anniversary american standards with the special 1950s inspired 'Butterscotch' finish?

ErikP.Bass likes this.
  7. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    I'm glad you like them. Yeah, you can find great stuff in them from time to time, but... me? Here's an experiment for you; next time you go to a pawn shop, pretend your're left handed (like me), and ask if the have any leftys. Maybe it's different in Austin, but in Las Vegas? The response is "No. We don't ever take left handed instruments; they're too hard to sell..." I'll look for other stuff in local pawn shops - occasionally - but basses? Just a waste of time...:rollno:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  8. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Great find!

I've had no such luck at pawn shops. It is either complete junk and/or the nice stuff is overpriced. As @dreamadream99 said, the internet has changed everything. They know how to find out what they have and price accordingly. Perhaps I should say what they "think" they have. A local one has a bass priced more than new because they are convinced it is a better model than it is.

- John

flojob likes this.
  9. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    $560? Sick deal. I’d keep it.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  10. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    :)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    jd56hawk likes this.
  11. rickster4003

rickster4003

Feb 15, 2013
    Here in Syracuse about the only thing you find are Squires with 2" string height.

12. I only check pawn shops occasionally.
    I have found that if you see something interesting, but you can live without it,
    check back after a few months.
    If it is still there, they may be ready to deal.
    If it has an inch of dust on it they are probably more interested in having that space open than trying to make anything on it.

Ten years back I had a job that involved a long commute.
    Once in a while I would stop by one of the pawn shops on the way back to wait out the traffic.
    One of them had an old amp I didn't need, but was curious about.
    After seeing it in exactly the same spot, untouched, unmoved and undusted every 6 months for a couple of years I asked what was the least they would take.
    I walked out with a Seymour Duncan Bass 400 for a hundred bux!
    600 watts into 2 ohms.
    Sure it's a 70s amp that weighs 40 pounds, but 6 watts per dollar in a quality amp?
    You betcha!
    Quiet, sounds great and seems to be indestructable.

One warning, don't get excited and check on whatever you spot every week.
    Too much interest will raise the price.
    If it sells, move on.
    If it stays in the way, let them get tired of having it, then get it.

13. Madhouse27

Madhouse27 Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2016
    If you manage to find a cool lefty bass, play it right handed and act confused like you don't understand what's wrong with it. Let the owner tell you it's left-handed, then act like who on earth are you going to sell that thing to?

dan1952 likes this.
  14. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    That’s a good price for an American P. You could probably flip it for a few more clams.

Spidey2112 and Dark Horse like this.
  15. mbasile

mbasile Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Man, I need to start checking out the shops downtown and south of the river. The shops up north are lame :|

dBChad likes this.
  16. Seem healthy to me :smug:

I check our local pawn shops, but they've fallen into the doldrums over the years.
    The one with the biggest inventory of instruments has almost all junk now & no one is doing setups on them.

Action so high on some of them you could put your thumb between the strings & the neck at the last fret.

cataract likes this.
  17. KokaKola

KokaKola

Jan 21, 2015
    Kalamazoo MI
    It seems like every person I see scoring great deals at pawn shops lives in Texas. I don’t know what’s going on down there but I’m jealous!

PDGood likes this.
  18. I'm lucky if the pawnshops around here have basses with all their strings or an amp to plug into. There's one I've been 2 twice, they didn't seem interested in making a sale.

1st time I waited around for like 15 minutes and never got a chance to speak to anyone.

2nd time I walked in I got to talk to someone but they didn't seem interested in letting me plug in and try a bass.

Those 2 times were a couple of months apart and the inventory of their basses was exactly the same.

19. Acoop

Acoop

Feb 21, 2012
    The internet sucked the life of Pawn Shops. ... But, two years ago in a FL pawn I walked inside and it was all second hand guns and power tools, except for a 1960's Ebony fretboard Euro, Laminated upright. ... I scored large so, I can't say they all suck. ...

Groove Doctor likes this.
  20. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Sweet deL bro