I Love Pete Wentz club

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by max8899, Feb 19, 2009.

1. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    So just because I spend more time playing my bass than putting on my make-up or making sure my girls' pants fit just right, I'm a wanker?

Go play your 8th notes.

2. About when the 70's were over...

3. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    I can play 8th notes (finger style) @ 220bps for 12 straight minutes with out dropping a beat.
    Is that a bad thing? Is that too slow?

I'm a working player, I get paid to play (think band context) not a soloist virtuoso. I think there is plenty of room in the world for both. But I'm not about to dis some one who gets to live the dream.

4. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    You want a cookie or something?

5. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    I like cookies, please cut mine into 8ths :D

6. buzzbass

buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Is it really a club, if it only has one member ?

7. I never knew there were so many teenage girls on TalkBass!

8. Also, I think I will quit practicing bass and start practicing putting on make-up.

9. Chriss62

Chriss62

Jul 24, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    I remember when some pics of "little Pete" got out on the net...

10. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    Pete Wentz is the Pete Wentz of Pete Wentz-dom.

How can anyone argue with that kind of dominance?

11. Pete makes me Wentz

12. Russel

Russel

Dec 19, 2008
    Petal, MS
    His lines are boring and uninspiring, his lyrics promote mold-thinking teeny thought, his tone is plain weak, his band sucks live(keep in mind, they suck with the support of all the great soundmen and techs money can buy), his signature bass is crap, and his lifestyle is a myriad of poor choices and bad influences. I mean, come on. Suicide? Really? Grow the F*** up.

Mediocrity is not a good thing to make an example of.

but hey. It sells. and he landed a big gig. I don't like him, and I usually detest the kinds of people that do, but power to him. He found something everybody can identify with.
    :scowl:

13. Pete Wentz is good at....stuff.

And I guess he writes..........songs, or something.

I just don't know.

14. lorenk

lorenk

Apr 8, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    lolz at all the hate he inspires...

15. i take it you don't listen to the radio much...

16. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    Okay that's funny.

17. Pete exemplifies what is wrong with music marketing today. It started in the 80's with MTV. Turn on the radio. Listen to the crap they spin. The most important thing about a group, singer, musician is how they look.

18. D Rokk

D Rokk Inactive

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    you all need to go pick up fallout boy's album "take this to your grave"

its damn good

19. tonypohlman

tonypohlman

Mar 2, 2008
    The drummer of FOB is actually insanely good... he was the drummer of the metal band Kill the Slavemaster pre-FOB.

I don't like any of their music, but I will say this - I can't hate the man for having a more fun day job than me. I'd ride the root and play straight 8ths all day if I could play for a living in a band, and make a good deal of money doing it.

I think there are tons mediocre bassists out there who don't get the hate that he does.

I think there a lot of crab apples in this thread that have forgotten something - playing music is not about making something as complicated as possible. Sometimes it fits, sometimes it doesn't. If I had to hear slap bass solos all day I'd off myself. Flashy, super tech playing doesn't make a song good every time. Its all about the feel... and if playing in the pocket feels right to you as a bassist, then do it.

20. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    If being famous took having a hate thread on TB, I would jump all over it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021