Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I love Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Slayer bass, Sep 19, 2002.

1. I play bass for about 12 years.
    My first bass was a Spanish model Jazz (it’s a brazilian bass) I had only this bass for a long time, but with the years I noticed tha I want more punch and bottom end from a bass.
    Then 4 year ago I bought a Warwick Streamer LX, very good bass... but it did’t do the sound I was looking for, and it had a radio interference problem caused by the active circuit.
    One year and a half ago I sold the warwick and bought a American Standard Precision Bass, I loved this bass...
    One month ago I though “hey, I need a Jazz bass too, I need a different sounding bass”.
    Then I bought a MIM Jazz and put dimarzio DP123 pickups on it.
    Well, I would Like to say that the best bass I have ever played is the fantastic AMERICAN STANDARD PRECISION BASS!!!, I love the power, the bottom end, the punch!!!, I can’t get this sound from the Jazz bass.
    I play Basic Rock and Punk Rock, and I can say that nothing is better than a Precision to do it.
    It’s just a comment, I would like to let everybody know that I LOVE PRECISION BASS!!!

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I like my Precision also. Great sound.

3. Every bass player should have a P-Bass. There's a reason they're still selling like hotcakes, and you have just explained it.

4. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    When I get some discretionary funds, I'm going to get one with a maple fretboard. Then I'm going to get a Raven retrofit to make it active. This is what I am going to do. I may even upgrade the pickups. Then I'm not going to sell it.;)

5. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Only a Fender Precision gets "that" tone. It's a one-trick pony but what a trick!

6. I just bought a MIM P-Bass and it sounds like a dream. Low, tight, deep. I'm going to replace the bridge and pickups this weekend (badass II bridge and American P-Bass pickups) and I can't wait to hear it.

7. yeah buddy.

8. I had the distinct pleasure to play a Precision with incredible vibe and feel at the TB Get-Together over the weekend. It belonged to Muggsy.

It was an ('81?) all walnut Precision with active Fender pup. Only about 450 were made and this one was a stellar example. Walnut "B" neck w/maple skunk stripe, rosewood fretboard, black pg, and the high mass Fender bridge - the predecessor of the Micro-Tune bridge. All gold hardware. Absolutely fabulous. Played great. Muggsy had it strung up with TI flats and that completed the P mystique.

The really dissappointing thing about the bass was the deal that Muggsy got on ebay. He only payed $450 for it! It's a shame, just a damn shame ;)

9. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Anybody have an opinion on Mike Lull's 5 string P bass?

10. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i have as main bass a Fender P and i want another just to have it with flats.

i'd love this one:

[​IMG]

11. I've heard that it is the 5 to nail that "P-tone" Sure would like to hear from anyone who has actually tried it....?
    I am on the hunt for a MIA Std P, rosewood/alder/black/tortoise if anyone stumbles across one....?? The new ones with the graphite rods are receiving accolades by the bucketful.

12. ashtray9

ashtray9

Aug 1, 2002
    Tempe Arizona
    Would a jazz hold it for funk? I'm thinking the P would better suit it, but I have little experience with either and cannot say. I've been lusting over an american p bass ever since I have learned of Jamerson, so please help as to whether the jazz is a contender for nasty funk, or if it is a p-bass hands down.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Can't beat that big, meaty P sound. That's why I'm going to get a Warmoth P one of these days, when funds allow, and other GAS priorities is taken care of.

14. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    It depends on what kind of funk tone you're looking for. The p-bass does not have the best slap tone in the world although I do like it myself. But I've been listening to a lot of the early 70's Herbie Hancock stuff lately and that Paul Jackson guy sounds amazing. And he uses a p-bass. And when I try and play some of these tunes on my jazz they just don't sound the same. Part of the reason is that I'm not that good but I can hear that Paul Jackson's style won't sound as good on a jazz.

15. yeah after i bag this Eden problem im heading for Fender country...i want an older p of J....love the tone

16. P-basses are great, but, so is the Jazz. We've had this discussion a hundred times before; the only way to satisfy yourself 100% is to get one of each. If money's tight, get MIMs. ;)

Mike J.

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Believe me, the P, full throttle through the Eden stuff is a GREAT sound. You'll be glad you go Eden and P. :D

18. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    They're the best. I recently tried a Peavey Fury (old model P copy) and it was real nice. Had a smaller neck which I also really liked... they're discontinued now though. Anyone know where I can get one?

19. Look on ebay...there are normally lots there.

20. It's my dream bass for sure. Intense, deep, firm, subtly emphatic sound, pick or fingerstyle. Best picked sound for sure.

I notice MANY of my favorite songs/bassists have the P-Bass sound:

Butler of Psych. Furs
    Kathy of the GoGo's
    Kyle Henderson of The Producers
    Sting
    Bruce Thomas former Elvis Costello bassist
    Dirnt of Green Day
    Bruce Foxton of The Jam on "The Gift" LP (sure sounds like it)

Plus countless late 70s and early 80s songs like "Reap The Wild Wind" by Ultravox or "(Get A) Grip (On Yourself)" by The Stranglers

That P sound kicks mucho grande butt.