I Love Rock And Roll - who sings?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by InfinityJaco, Mar 9, 2002.

1. InfinityJaco

Jun 5, 2001
    I was wondering who originally sings "I Love Rock And Roll"...the song that Brittany Spears did in her new movie..I need to do it for a cover gig
    Thanks a lot
  2. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, joan jett sang it before brittany, but i'm not totally sure as to whether or not she covered it from someone else.
  3. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yes, I do belive that someone did the song before Joan Jett, but I forget who.
  4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Curious about this question, I checked with All Music Guide.com. The song Jett performed was written by Hooker and Merrill. Other songs of the same name appeared several years before, but there is no indication if they are exact same song, probably not.

The same year Joan Jett recorded her hit (1981), Status Quo, an English band recorded one with the same name, but it does not appear to be the Hooker/Merrill version either...at least the writers don't get credit.

With a name like "I Love Rock and Roll", many different songs could probably share the same popular title. In fact the a song of that title appears on 21 different albums, but only half are said to be the Hooker/Merrill version.

All that said, if anyone knows of the same song having been recorded BEFORE Joan Jett's version, I'd love to know who did it and in what year.
  5. It was written by a band called The Arrows. The song was released as a single in 1975, but never actually appeared on any album.
  6. sgraham

Aug 30, 2000
    Tyler, TX
    Some interviewer asked that idiot Britney Spears
    why she covered "I Love Rock 'n Roll", and she
    said "Because I just LOVE Pat Benatar!". No
  7. JoJoLi

May 27, 2012
    Alan Merrill, lead singer of the Arrows (UK band) wrote and recorded the first and original version of "I love rock n roll" in 1975. Their recording was produced by Mickie Most on RAK records. Joan Jett covered the song in 1981 to great success in the USA thanks to the diligent work of Neil Bogart and Boardwalk records. Later Britney Spears covered it successfully as a single, and it charted top 20 in the UK and Europe in 2002. It has been covered by many but the source of the song's original vocals are and always will be by the Arrows singer Alan Merrill. No amount of spin can change that fact. Joan Jett saw him perform it on TV in England in 1976 while on tour with the Runaways and was inspired enough by the performance to record the song. Contrary to a previous posters comment, the Arrows loved their song from the moment they finished writing it, and persuaded the label to release it on a a-side, after re-recording an improved version of the song at Abbey road studio, a song which started out two months prior as a quickly recorded a b-side at Morgan Studio. This is the true story. Don't believe the corporate spin and hype. -:bassist:
  8. lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    So I guess you were an original member of The Arrows?
  9. JoJoLi

May 27, 2012
    Better. Married to one. I can back up any claim I make with solid verifiable facts.
  10. FerK

Dec 11, 2011
    Hard to argue with that, which I don't plan to. :smug:

I can only add that the Joan Jett version is very close to a note-by-note version, with the mandatory lyrics adjustment to make it a girl-picks-boy-up instead of the opposite.
  11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    So you decided to Google "who first sang I Love Rock And Roll" and join every forum that mentions it, in order to defend the honor of your spouse?

Sorry but Joan Jett took that song and absolutely made it her own, with her perfect and undeniable performance of it. Now some part of her early success with it was undoubtedly due to the money men in the music industry, making things happen with cash; and The Arrows apparently had no luck in the industry, so they might feel they got shafted. But once Jett was launched, that song became inseparable from her face and voice and star power.

I'm sure your husband is a nice person, deserving of credit for writing the song--and he has gotten exactly that, it is widely and clearly credited to Hooker and Merrill. Mission accomplished, long ago. And it was not hard for the earlier posters (back in year 2000, when this thread is from) to find out that it was originally recorded by The Arrows in '75.

Also, the previous post you refer to says it "was a single but never appeared on any album", and you respond "nuh-uh, they made an A-side version"... but an A-side is a single, not an album. So what are you contributing here?

How about posting a good Youtube or MP3 clip of your spouse's original recording, or some new inside scoop on the rise and fall of The Arrows? We all enjoy a good tale from the history of rock music, so maybe you can tell us some of the inside story, something not found on the easily-Googled fan sites. This could be interesting stuff!

Unless you are just trying to establish some sort of case, via forums, that you deserve a piece of Joan Jett's pie--you want her to pay you? Forget it, whatever financial state she has today is based on what she herself brought to the table, including touring worldwide (for decades now) with hundreds of songs NOT written by Hooker and Merrill.

Again though, if you have some neat stories from the rock archives to share with us, I'm sure we all welcome that!
  12. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    OK, if I could add some maturity for a second...

...you said "Joan Jett's pie"...

Carry on.
  13. Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Here is the original version of I Love Rock And Roll by The Arrows.

The Arrows - I Love Rock and Roll

The Arrows were an English American band based in London, England. The group, which formed in 1974 and disbanded in 1977, included singer/bassist Alan Merrill, guitarist Jake Hooker and drummer Paul Varley. They had top 30 UK chart hit singles in 1974 and 1975 with "Touch Too Much", "My Last Night With You" and "I Love Rock 'n' Roll," all produced by Mickie Most on RAK Records. "I Love Rock 'n' Roll" was later covered by Joan Jett in 1981and Britney Spears in 2002.

The Arrows had two fourteen week television shows called Arrows in 1976 and 1977 on Granada Television, produced by Muriel Young. They are the only band to have two weekly TV series and no records released during the run of either series, a result of a conflict between the band and Mickie Most. Each series consisted of fourteen shows, 30 minutes in length. There were twenty eight shows broadcast in total. Their final single, "Once Upon A Time", was released two months before the first show of their first series in 1976.

The first manager of the Arrows was Peter Meaden, who had also managed The Who in the early 1960s. He came up with the band's name, which originates from The Who's logo, with the arrow pointing up.
  14. PJRL

Mar 27, 2010
    greenfield center NY
    Well, to give credit where credit is due..... The Arrows original still stands up in against all of the covers, and the covers are done very well.

Thanks JoJoLi for sharing the history of that song, I figured it was from the 50's but now we know.
  15. Thanks, JoJoLi for the info. Very interesting.