Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I love Sandberg

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by danqi, Feb 19, 2004.

1. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    For quite some time now I thought the Musicman Stingray was the ultimate bass for me. Today I went to my music store to check out the new SUB. After that I played a Sandberg Basic. It blew the MM away! (IMHO)

Tone:
    The sound of the Sandberg is much more flexible than that of the MM. (No matter if the tone IS in your hands or not ;) ) I could get a sound very close to that of the MM, but also some very different ones, thanks to the very "tweakable" electronics.

Playability:
    I thought the Sandberg felt much better. But, to be fair, I must say that the MM had a very high action, which I don't like. Still, the Sandberg felt much tighter, natural and easier to play. Of course, this has A LOT to do with personal preference.

Looks (as if I would care ;) ):
    Sometimes I wonder if we only like the looks of the MM basses because we associate that look with their abilities. I remember not liking it when I started playing bass. But the more I knew about playing bass and the sound of Stingrays, the more I liked their looks.
    Anyways, I personaly think the Sandberg is more pretty, while still being a working man's bass.

Maybe - just maybe - I would even prefer A Sandberg Basic over the much more expensive Stingray, if someone offered to give on to me. Maybe I am just a little enthusiastic.

http://www.sandberg-guitars.com

2. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

One thing I saw on that website that I have just fantasized about... was the 'on-board' tube pre-amp for bass... Check out the 'TubeMachine'... Interesting design concept, I wonder what it sounds like.

Anychance that you are able to try the tubemachine out for us TB'er?

3. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    I remeber reading about that thing a while ago (maybe a year). But I have not yet seen it in reality. When I do, I'll tell you, of course. Personaly, I wonder if those tubes brake easily....

4. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

I was wondering the same thing as well.

let us know when you get a chance to check it out.

5. i wish we could find those in the US. i was in a discussion about european bass manufacturers (of which there are many) and sandberg came up. a quick surf of the site led me to the same conclusion as you -- they're pretty basses!

robb.

6. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    Has anyone ever tried any other models? I am curious as to how the higher class models perform.

7. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    I got to check out a couple of these today, very impressive!
    Salwender USA is starting to get a few of these in now.
    No info yet on their website, but here's the contact info:

www.salwender.com

Cheers,
    Slug

8. LE_Gui

LE_Gui

Sep 22, 2004
    Marseille - France
    I love mine more and more each day :)

It blows all other brands away, i can confirm !
    I bought it after having tried in a row the same day :
    - 2 laklands
    - 2 fenders (JB AM DLX & PB AM DLX)
    - 3 Warwicks (Streamer, Corvette and Thumb)
    - 1 Noguera (a french luthier - the one I tried was 2 and a half more expensive but a pure beauty !)
    - 1 MM Bongo (so ****ty !)

Maybe another one or two basses, but the Sandberg really stood out from the other. The only other I could try this day that could equal it was another Sandberg :p. (I own a JB shape with PB/MM pu's) It was another custom shop instrument, a basic with PB/MM pu's.

I hope i'm not too confusing, but I'm so much excited when talking about my favourite groove machines ! ;)

9. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Who knows, perhaps the MM you tried was badly set up? Don't get me wrong, I've always liked the look of Sandbergs but never had the chance to try one. For US residents, the price advantage over a "real" Stingray probably won't be as high as for us Europeans, though, as Stingrays can be had pretty cheaply in the US.
    The Sandberg Bullet interests me the most, by the way, as I'm currently in a "not that interested in single MM pickup basses" phase. I'm sure the Ken Taylor model, too, kicks some serious butt.

10. Dirumil

Dirumil

Jan 8, 2005
    Paris
    Oh, Le Gui, you're always talking about Sandberg Basses. You should stop or it'll making GAS for all of us. :D

11. I tried the Ken Taylor Basic model(same as danqi's, basically, just one more pup). I have to admit it's a very, very nice bass, especially for the price. A new Stingray goes for about 1600 euros here, the Sandberg Basic and Ken Taylor are between 1000-1200. There's a definite Stingray vibe in the sound whe the bridge pup is solo'd. They have a more modern feel though, the neck is quite thin and flat and the body is made of sandblasted ash, which means you can feel the grain. I tried a 5 string model and while I'm usually not a 5 banger I was pretty comfortable with it. I also compared it to a G&L L2500, which was the next closest match in my mind, and I have to admit that I liked the G&L better but not 400 euros better.
    The one Sandberg I really want to try is the Ken Taylor Basic 5 with the Ric-inspired shape. All the goodness of the original with the added bonus of Ric looks.

12. LE_Gui

LE_Gui

Sep 22, 2004
    Marseille - France
    :D
    I can't stop talking about my Sandberg, I'm in love with her !
    GAS for everyone !!!

(merde, j'avais pas vu ta réponse Dirumil ! ;) j'ai pas de notifications activées sur ce forum :s)

13. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Le Gui,

that sandberg is amazing looking!

I have been hearing abunch about Delano p/ups recently and I wanted to know what you thought of them.

14. LE_Gui

LE_Gui

Sep 22, 2004
    Marseille - France
    What I think about those Delano pickups... Well it perfectly fits my needs, a big growl, even in passive mode :)
    I guess the combination of the woods (alder/maple/rosewood) with the Delano pickups and the preamp (probably a glockenklang) is the perfect mix to my tastes.
    A big big sound, generous, the low B is clear, there is no less sounding string, it's well balanced.
    I can play any style with this bass.
    I would consider the sound like a mix of :
    - fender pb & jb (clarity and cleanliness)
    - Musicman, Warwick and Ibanez rdgr 905 (with Basslines J/MM seymour duncan pickups) for the growl.
    And this mix is ideal to me, typed but not too much, roots or modern, well I LOVE IT ! lol
    It's a bit like I found the characteristics of the best bass sounds (to my opinion) in ONE instrument :)

I don't know if I clearly described what I think in english, sorry if my enthusiasm is too invading ! lol

15. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    The Bass Centre in London had a lot of the range in last August and I tried quite a few. Very nice basses.

16. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I remember reading about that, and I'm interested in how it sounds as well. It seems pretty darn cool, in theory.

I wouldn't think so, unless you're Pete Townshend impersonator. I think they'd hold up as well as any other electronic part on any other bass.

17. Dirumil

Dirumil

Jan 8, 2005
    Paris
    I've to tell to everyone that Le Gui has made fall many of us in the French's side. ;)

So beware, don't listen to him if you don't want to have a Sandberg in your house! :bag:

(T'inquiète, moi non plus, c'est juste que je passe assez souvent sur TB. T'aimes bien déterrer les topics sur Sandberg, c'est d'la propagande va!)

18. LE_Gui

LE_Gui

Sep 22, 2004
    Marseille - France
    That's not true !!! I'm not obsessed with Sandberg basses !!!

ok ok even I don't believe this ! lol

19. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I really like the bullet series. Anybody ever seen these in the US?

20. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Sorry to dig up such an old thread, but I've been wondering if it would be possible for me as an American to order a custom made Sandberg? I don't see any dealers on my side of the country, but I was thinking that maybe they can order direct?
    -Alex