1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I love singles!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by caesarbass, Aug 15, 2007.

1. I got rid of my Boss GT6B and got myself a couple of really great sounding pedals that I will actually use!!! This is what I have so far:
    Peterson Strobo Stomp tuner
    MXR Bass Blowtorch
    MXR Bass Auto Q

I am looking for a good sounding octave pedal, maybe an MXR M-88, I actually just found a brand new one that I can get for a good price, I know they've been discontinued. I've had an EBS Octabass and a Digitech BSW (only using the octave effect) in the past and wasn't too crazy about the tone, is the MXR any different tonewise?
    Anyways, I'm pretty happy with the Blowtorch and the Auto Q so far, they really sound pretty awesome and I will be using them on a few gigs this week.
    :D

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Ah, another Blowtorch user! Sweet :D

The MXR M-88 doesn't have the "digital" nature of the BSW, nor does it have the smoother, polyphonic capabilities of the Octabass. It's somewhere in between, like a lot of other monophonic sub-octave pedals (Boss OC-2, EHX Octave Multiplexer, etc.).

3. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I would recommend a boss OC-2 over the MXR. I've owned them both and prefer the tone of the boss. You should try them to see which one you like.

4. Thanks for the octave info Mystic and AssBoglin!!! The Blowtorch is a GREAT pedal, I'll be putting it through it's paces this week and as far as I see I think it's going to be a permanent part of my rig from now on!!!
    Another quick question...is the MXR DC Brick the best way to power my pedals? Is it quiet? The Blowtorch is 18V and I know the DC Brick will accommodate up to 3 18V pedals and a bunch of 9V pedals as well.
    Thanks!!

5. I'm going to go try a few different pedals out today, including the OC-3!!!!
    :D

6. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    The OC-3 is digital so it has a different sound. It's a good one, but I do prefer the old OC-2's. And I would recommend a DC brick. I use one and am very happy with it.

7. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    It's what I'm using now, and it works great - no noise problems or anything like that (at least, nothing caused by the Brick). The only drawback is that its outputs are non-isolated. It won't mean anything to you (or most of us, for that matter) in most situations, but if you have a couple of unusual pedals that do not work at all with other pedals in a daisy chain, etc., then it won't work with the Brick, either.

I wouldn't worry about that bridge unless you have to cross it, if you know what I mean. Just be sure to double-check with us if you're getting something out of the ordinary.

Power supplies with isolated outputs are the cream of the crop, but they're also the largest and most expensive ones.

8. You guys ROCK!!! I just got back with my DC Brick and it's so nice to not worry about batteries!!! I haven't settled on an octave pedal yet and I'm not sure if I even want to get one...I need to try a bunch out. the MXR and the EBS appeal to me because of their size. I will let you guys know and I'll post up some soundclips soon too.
    Thanks a bunch!!!

9. you could wait a couple weeks for a micro-pog.

10. Hmmmmm...I need to look into that....Thanks!!! When are they "supposed to be released?

11. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=100081856&blogID=294916357

Late this month, supposedly.

We've had a few threads on that new batch of pedals I linked to above... be sure to read up on them! :D

The reissue Octave Multiplexer is also a good suggestion, if you want a dirtier, analog sub-octave instead of the cleaner digital one you'd get with the POG and Micro POG. I'm currently using the Multiplexer, and while its "Sub" mode is great for deep, heavy bass, I prefer its normal mode - glitchy and gnarly :cool:

I wrote a review on TB... take a look around for it if you're interested.

12. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I'm very interested in Micro POG reviews when it is released. I've been holding out on buying an Octave pedal because I'm undecided...

13. glad to see another blowtorch user, I love mine, the pedal is pretty hit and miss though, most people love it or hate it. I use it maxed out for the big fuzz sounds during breakdowns and add a low cut filter from my eq pedal for cool intros and such. hey Boo we need to start a blowtorch club ;)

14. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    I like singles too... I can't imagine having to deal with a spouse. :rollno:

You've made some solid decisions.

15. LOL!!! I was wondering how long it would take for someone to comment on the title of this thread!!! HAHAHA!!!
    I used the Blowtorch and the Auto Q on my gig last night and the pedals sounded great!! No low end loss from either one. I am looking to put either a phaser or a chorus after the Blowtorch so I can get a Moog-ish synth sound, if anyone has any suggestions please let me know...I need to get pedal board now!!!

16. EBMan

EBMan Guest

Oct 10, 2006
    I ditched my GT-6B awhile back and returned to singles. I had singles before after having sold a Digitech BP200. The singles were more cumbersome but the GT-6B just didn't have the same sounds. I'm back to a StroboStomp2, Dyna Comp, Punch Factory, M-80, Little Big Muff, Small Stone, Baseballs, RV-5 and an RC-2 Looper.

There really is a difference.

17. So here is what I've gotten so far:
    1) Digitech Bass Synth Wah-best octave pedal!!! The tracking is insane and it will play down to an open E on my 4 string, and it will do double stops with ease. The other synth sounds/settings are pretty useless IMHO.
    2) EH Nano Bassballs-I just discovered this pedal and I had to have it. The twin filters with the distortion sound GREAT!!! Really kind of old school saw wave, it sounds really cool with the BSW octave setting going through it. BTW-without the distortion it is a really glassy sounding wah, kind of cool.
    3) MXR Auto Q-killer and versatile auto wah that doesn't rob my LOW END and built like a tank!!
    4) MXR Bass Blowtorch-I love this pedal!!! It really cuts through and doesn't lose any low end, it sounds good with the BSW octave setting too.
    That's it for now. I am going to be getting a Pedal Train JR. for the new toys, and I'm sure I'm not done...i think I might be a bit addicted to these things you call...effect pedals!!!!!

18. I am so glad I ditched the multi pedal for quality singles...you REALLY can tell the difference, especially LIVE!!!!! :hyper:

19. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    other than the 18V part, I don't see why you would waste your money on a DC brick

20. Should I look into other power supplies? I got the MXR Brick because it seemed to have a few different power options and it powers my Blowtorch-18V...:help: