Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I love the British!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I honestly do.

The way they talk, their music, their comedy. My god, they are brilliant.

Think about all we have taken from the British. Hell, they more or less made rock n' roll. And all those reality TV shows, we ripped off from English Television (well, we can't be too harsh on them for giving us that).

And Monty Python! How can it get any better than that.

So to our British Brothers/Sisters of the Low, I salute you! :bassist:

Sorry we kicked your ass in the revolutionary war! :spit: :p (Sorry, no politics :D )

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Thanks! Although I'm not sure we invented rock and roll, we basically took what the US had already done and repackaged it.

One request, please don't use English/British interchangably! Us Scots (who are also British) get a bit peeved. Anyone from the UK (Great Britain plus Northern Ireland) has 'British' as their nationality on their passport.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    IMO, the Beatles were the first rock band. It was all country before that. Though I don't like early Beatles, it got the ball rolling.

4. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    I can't tell whether you're being inscrutably ironic/sarcastic or not... so I guess we British have contributed to the world after all (we invented irony y'know) :)

5. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    :smug:

we don't love you. how do i post a voice sample here? i want to say something with my british accent.

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You gotta be kidding me! What about Jerry Lee Lewis? Elvis? Little Richard? Buddy Holly? Ritchie Valens? Etc.. etc.. Those guys were most certainly playing rock and roll and were quite popular well before the Beatles. Tutti Frutti, Blue Suede Shoes, Peggy Sue, Whole Lotta Shakin Goin On, Great Balls of Fire...those ain't country my friend. Certainly the Beatles were huge and perhaps the greatest of all time but they weren't the first.

brad cook

7. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I'm English not British, not Welsh, Irish and certainly not Scotch.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I prefer to be thought of as European!! :meh:

Especially if I am abroad I don't want to be identified as British - i.e. a loud, drunken football hooligan, who drinks too much lager, gets sunburnt and insults anybody in sight, has no interest in culture - just drinking and fighting...:meh:

9. i'll host it if you want. IM it to me or something.

10. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Well, I agree with you on 2 out of 3 (in regards to the English more so than all British)
    1) An attractive female who speaks with an English accent is somehow about 10 times hotter than if she spoke like an American. Something about the Queen's English that is so sophisticated - it makes them seem (to me) more inteligent too...
    (when I say English accent, I'm not referring to the Cockney dialect - no offense to anyone who speaks cockney.)
    2)I've always prefered English bands - not a concious choice, but my all time favorites always seem to be. (Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Led Zepplin, The Beatles...)
    3)English humor - well... I guess I just don't get it.

11. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    really?
    you've been mean to me before and i don't want to be tricked [​IMG]

12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut

All of a sudden you're ashamed of your college years, Bruce?

13. how could i be mean to somebody with mclusky lyrics in her sig? i think you're fabricating memories.

14. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    :smug:

oh the powers of mclusky.
    i've seen them 5 times this year.

i shall IM you.

15. Bruce Lindfield

Not at all - in fact I was saying the exact opposite!! :confused:

16. Im Scottish, I'm my own person. I'm not Irish, no Welsh, nor no stinkin snob.

;)

eh Bruce, I think you mean English fans, not British.

And queen's english? horse bang. its not her damn language and the only good thing the "royal" arsehoels are good for are keeping the economy stable by pumping millions into security whenever the old fart puts a foot outdoors.

17. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    thankyou muchly ian wright! :D

18. Bruce Lindfield

It's just the drunken and loud part that applies to the Scots and Irish - the rest is usually only applied to the English abroad!! ;)

19. Bruce Lindfield

What was that !!?? It sounded like "Vicky" from Eastenders!! ;)

(Although it was difficult to tell through the distortion and popping... :meh: )