I love the Fender P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris Brodowski, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Since my #1 bass influence was Tim Commerford, formerly of Rage Against the Machine, you would expect I would be a warm-toned Fender J guy. And I do love that tone.

But recently I have become absolutely enamored with the P. It can't seem to get as many different tones as the J, but the tone seems to fit in so many types of music. The thing WAS BORN FOR PUNK OR ROCK, I swear. Using good equipment and an MIA P, you can get some of the best rock tones in the history of the planet out of that thing.

Some people don't like the neck, and I understand that. The back of the neck is sometimes a little wide for my tastes, but I prefer the P string spacing to the J string spacing. Anyone else?

I personally like the MIA P with Natural Finish and the Rosewood fretboard; I think that one looks sweet. I also like the pure black with the maple fretboard; as a matter of fact, I really want one like that. Then i'll strap Elixir polywebs on there =) (don't like the nanowebs).

I also want a Kingston 5. Anyone wanna lend me money? Please?

I guess the reason for this post is I guess I am surprised again by Fender's rather simple, old-fashioned approach. I still really like modern-style basses like Modulus, but I am shocked on how good a bass Fender can make for the money. Not only that, but you would expect this bass to be inferior to modern, more technologically advanced basses, but often that is nowhere near the case.

I should stand on the side of the street with a sign that says "WILL MANWHORE FOR BASS"

2. I A/B'd a MIM P-bass against a few MIA's and could not tell the difference.

So I bought the MIM, changed the volume and tone pots, and it truly sounds amazing for 1/3 the price of a MIA.
  3. I did the same with J-basses, and I could tell a huge difference. The MIA was MUCH better IMO, but YMMV.:) I liked the Deluxe P-bass I tried (it was a few years ago).
  4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Everybody loves P-Basses!!! Now there are two threads on the subject! My made-from-parts with a genuine Fender™ Pickup P-bass copy is frickin' awesome.

Think rock sounds good? Try it with country or pop. Roll off the tone control and check out that reggae dub sound. Big bottom, mon!

The simple thing is that the P bass sounds perfect for virtually any musical situation. It may not sound as pleasing when woodshedding and playing alone, but in a musical situation, it is just THERE.