1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I love the smell of burning crossover!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Groundloop, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    I've already e mailed Steamco (the Canadian distributor for Avatar), and am waiting on a reply to see what they can do for me, but in the meantime I'm hoping to get some insight into what might have caused the damage in the attached pic.

My rig:
    Yorkville XS800 (600w into an 8 ohm load)
    Avatar CB112 w/ Delta12LF (8 ohm, 500w power handling)
    New Avatar crossover installed late September of 2006, simply to get the Speakon connector, I always turn the tweeter off.
    The EQ on the head is set pretty flat, just a slight boost on the low mids and hi mids, and the master volume usually between 11:00 and noon. I usually play either a Lakland 55-02 fretless, or 55-01 fretted. I leave the EQ on the basses flat 99% of the time.

So, we were on the last tune at Wednesday nights rehearsal when I noticed a faint burning smell. We finished the song about a minute later, and when I turned around to turn the master on the amp down, I saw some smoke coming from the port of the cab. I quickly shut everything down and disconnected the power to the head, and the cable to the cab. I removed the crossover to inspect the damage, and well, here we are.

So the question is, since I always leave the tweeter turned off on the cab, is it possible to damage a crossover by doing this? And if that's the case, I see either a Bergantino EX112 or Schoeder Mini12 in my future.

Sorry for the long post. I just wanted you all to have all the info available to try to diagnose this.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Yes. The LPad will usually fry first, causing excess current to flow though the crossover and damage components. Turning an LPad all the way down is not recommended.

3. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Thanks for the reply Bill.

So if I don't want to use the tweeter, should I just disconnect it, or will that cause other problems?

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That can also damage the HP filter components, but if you've disconnected the tweeter anyway it won't matter much.