Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I love the sound of my Grabber but....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by badsneakers, Mar 11, 2006.

1. badsneakers

badsneakers

May 31, 2004
    I have a 77-78 Gibson Grabber and it sounds almost perfect for my band. It is a bit difficult to play for me compared to other basses. The body is a little big and the neck is a bit thick and I hate how the pick up sits, kind of low on the slider which my thumb sometimes finds its way to making it easy for me to trip up.

What if I had a bass built, body and neck out of maple, and put in the Grabbers pick up with out the sliding option in the neck position the only place I like it. Would I retain most of the sound of the bass? Maybe I could just get a new body and re-use the Grabber neck, that might not bother me as much.

what do you think?

2. I don't see your age on your profile, so excuse me, but if you're younger and came into the bass, luckily, somehow, or if you're older, (like me...), and you've been the original owner I have the same answer to both.

Don't tear it apart. IMHO, you'll regret it in the future. I think you're needing a new bass that you'll like the feel for and the sound of. There's a lot of different pickups out there that will give you choices in tone that you don't have to take the Grabber apart to do it. It sounds like you might have a few dollars to work with, if you're thinking of having a bass built, so I'd research different pickups and get something new to put in and make it sound like you want.

Sorry; I just have a thing about tearing apart a classic like the Grabber. Just me and my 2 cents.;)

3. badsneakers

badsneakers

May 31, 2004
    I'm 27
    I'm not the original owner
    I understand what you are saying I just thought this could be done with no damage to the bass so I could put it back together at a later date if I wanted. I was thinking of useing Warmoth parts so it wouldn't be to much money.
    Maybe I can find a Grabber pick up on ebay

4. Gotcha. Understand that. I thought of the "removal", part, too. Wouldn't tear it up too much, I figure, but if you ever want to sell the bass, then you're still in the same boat. Have to swap out the pickups again and find something for your bass you built. You might be able to pick up something on Ebay, but I'd do it now, instead of after the change-over. Might not be there then, and who wants to buy a Grabber with no pickup, or you wouldn't want a custom bass without the pickup because you had to sell the Grabber later on. Just seems like a waste. I'd look for the grabber pickup around and put it in your new bass or get something that's got the sound you want to put into your custom and keep the Grabber intact if you can. My 2 cents. (...well 4 cents by now...:D )

5. badsneakers

badsneakers

May 31, 2004
    You are right I should just look around for a used pick up one will show up somewhere someday

:)

6. Yeah...and maybe in the meantime, you could try out some other basses that you may find work well sound-wise for you. I was just at Guitar Center today looking for a chromatic tuner and tried out a Musicman Stingray just to see what the fuss was all about and liked it, but also played a Warwick Streamer fretless with Bartolini's and was just blown away with the fullness of tone and playability! I've got a Warwick FNA Jazzman and love the Humbucker/Jazz combination they put into it. You've got a lot of choices out there. Check out the other sections of this forum. Great info on pickups, setup, and all the etc's that make a bass really "loveable"! Worth a shot! :bassist: :D