Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I love the way this guy tells stories.........

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Petebass, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    This is another story by well known Australian sound engineer, Duncan Fry. The last one got a good reaction, and this one made me smile, so I thought I'd share it...........

Cheers,
    Pete.

"I did quite a few gigs in Deniliquin, in country NSW. It appeared to be a regular stop on the 'Nothing band going nowhere fast' country gig circuit. This time it was a little weekend tour.........

So Chris, who helped load, helped drive, did lights and generally lent a hand and I set off for the wilds of Deni, put the system together and awaited the band. Surprisingly enough, they arrived in plenty of time and were soon soundchecked and ready to go.

The band's first set went down well with the audience, and during the break Chris and I retired to the luxury of the Crew accommodation (two bunks, plus a table painted on the walls) for a quiet drink away from the crowd and cigarette smoke. We sat back on the bottom bunk, sipping on a Jack Daniels, with the disco blaring in the background. Gigs like this were one of the very few times that I would indulge in a drink - I certainly wasn't going to be driving anywhere that night!

One of the songs sounded vaguely familiar.

"Hey, isn't that one of the songs the band plays?" I asked.

"Yes, it sounds like it," he replied. "Jeez, it's a bit rough, isn't it, the DJ playing one of their songs. After all, he's got their song list in front of him."

Indeed, this was true. One of the first jobs at any of these gigs was to give the DJ a copy of the band's song list, so that he wouldn't play any of the same songs that the band would. To transgress this unwritten law was just not done, and on the rare occasions when it had been done, the DJ had often ended up packed into a road case and pushed down some stairs!

Still, I wasn't going to get too worked up over it - in fact, I couldn't really give a ****! Let the band worry about it, I thought, and settled back and sipped some more.

"Hey, this is another of the band's songs," exclaimed Chris as the next tune drifted in to us. "What's going on here?"

Realisation suddenly hit me like an ice pick in the forehead.

"Holy ****...that's not the disco...that's the f*&%ing band playing!"

"S#@t a brick" yells Chris, and we hurtled out of the room, down the corridor, and stood in the doorway of the main lounge, out of sight of the band. Sure enough, there they were, playing their little hearts out on stage, listening to themselves in the monitors and imagining that the crowd was listening too! Of course, there was only the unbalanced sound of their actual instruments and no vocals whatsoever. It sounded really bad - no wonder we thought it was the disco!

Chris and I crouched down on our knees and sneaked across behind the crowd to the mixing desk. Very slowly, and still kneeling down, I inched up the levels on the faders, so the sound gradually increased, until within a minute it was back up to normal ear bleeding levels again.

I changed from kneeling down behind the desk to being hunched over it, and the band continued on their merry way. I'm sure they didn't notice, as they never said a word about it, either then or later! "

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    HAHA, That's TOO funny!!!!

3. enzyme

enzyme

Feb 4, 2003
    Jeebuz they can't have been a very good band if they can't tell if the FOH is up.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    actually it's more likely that they had kick-ass foldback. Apparently Dunk's one of the best...........

5. One of my best mates worked for a time with that guy, if he's the one I'm thinking of.

Very good at what he does, apparently.