1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I LOVE this bass line!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by IotaNet, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Okay, my shameful little secret is that I love show tunes. Call 'em square, call 'em corny, I think they're "Americana" and you can find some really great musicianship in there.

I have always dug this particular tune from "A Chorus Line." Excellent showbiz arrangement and I love how the Bass line basically establishes the feel of the performance. Whoever this bassist is, I love his feel and musical sense. No pyrotechnics, nothing flashy -- just good, solid bass playing:

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Isn't there a thread in Miscellaneous [BG] for bassists who like show tunes? :bag: :)

3. Yea, its called "The Closet" :D j/k

4. ROFL!

5. goldenglory18

goldenglory18

Nov 30, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Amateur. Take my advice for its resale value.
    I do too man, dont feel bad.

Actually, I would love to write show tunes. My wife makes fun of me when that little secret slips out....I'm a sucker for a good musical....

6. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    I like show tunes also. If you've ever been in the orchestra pit on Broadway or any other theater setting it is a discipline. All the parts are laid out with a purpose and usually well concieved as well as conducted. Those are the things that make us laugh, sigh, or cry as an audience. So go ahead and snicker.....most of those bass lines are great to learn.

7. Tumeni Notes

Tumeni Notes

Jan 2, 2009
    :eek::meh::eek::meh:

8. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    As I understand it, show tune scores are typically written & arranged by piano playing composers who are well versed in theory, and for whom the bass part is but one aspect of a dynamically ornate composition whose clockwork shape & direction are guided by the need to underpin a dramatic tale articulated by a retinue of flamboyant and choreographed characters awash in an atmosphere of music, lighting, sets, and differentiating costumes.

Underscoring the creative approach of said score, is the need to entertain a seated audience for prolonged periods of time by leading them through a gamut of emotions in a manner credibly relevant to their life's more common experiences.

By design, the bass' contribution to this process will often be harmonically more intricate and interesting than the comparatively utilitarian & shop-worn bass parts which are appropriate in a small band setting when pounding out four minute toe-tappers.

9. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    Yep, that's what I meant to say...

10. dan stanton

dan stanton

Feb 8, 2010
    Mij, DD, Iota, keep your little boy prejudices to yourselves. When you can put that many butts in seats as Chorus Line did, you might be listened to. Also, can you play that bass line?
    I'd rant, but it ain't worth my time.
    Check out the bass line to Jesus Christ Superstar. Great bass line.

11. MIJ-VI

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi Dan.

Did you read all of the posts preceding yours?

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 26, 2020