1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I love TI flats BUT they don't work on my Squier....

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Andy Daventry, Nov 28, 2018.

1. My Squier fretless P doesn't like TI flats. To be more precise, the G and D go totally dead in a matter of days. This has happened twice now. It doesn't happen with other strings - so Chromes have worked well.

It's not a bridge, nut or string angle issue, because I have checked. I have fiddled with relief. It's voodoo. Someone has cursed my bass. So be it. It's a cheap bass.

It's not the strings, because I have put the same strings on another bass, and they work just fine, even after dying on the fretless.

The problem is I don't like Chromes because even though they have great definition, they are too hollow and thumpy for me. I love the sinuous fundamental, the punch and flexibility of TIs. And I have it on the E and A. But I need four strings working properly.

So does anyone know of another flat which has a strong fundamental, powerful in the mids and feels that it's alive under your fingers?

2. I will leave this thread up as testament to my own idiocy. Yes, I had played with the relief. But tonight I slackened it off even more (another 1/8th) and the strings came back to life.

It's a funny old world, and old dogs never learn.

Marko 1, oldrocker and Passinwind like this.
  3. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Sound like problem solve.

My Squier fretless p sound good with EB cobalt flat and Ti flat.

Andy Daventry likes this.
  4. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    I'm glad you sorted this out. I'm not surprised you had to adjust the relief with the TI flats. They're lower tension than most.

TI flats should last a LONG time. I've only been using them for a couple of years (and admittedly not on one of my main basses) but they still sound more or less like the day I installed them. I don't think I've ever used a set of strings that retain the "zing" better than these. They're surprisingly bright for flats. A totally different sound than the typical "old school" flats. I absolutely love them. Actually, I think it's about time I DO install them on one of my main basses! :thumbsup:

ghostinthemach likes this.
  5. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Well, if he had higher-tension strings (Chromes?) on there before, it makes sense that the "floppier" TIs would require a little more relief -- but that would be to avoid fret buzz. I don't understand why adjusting the relief would make the strings sound any brighter or less dead.

68Goldfish and ghostinthemach like this.
  6. I did loosen the truss. Just not enough. Hence the idiocy. The point being that contrary to popular belief, you can't have a dead straight neck on a fretless or the bass won't play. I forgot that. The additional 1/8 or a turn did the trick.

ghostinthemach likes this.

7. I've been using TI flats since the late '90s. The only bass they haven't worked on was a Rob Allen MB2. They don't slap well, I find, and you lose everything with a mid scoop, but that's what you have rounds for.