Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I love to play my Cirrus4, but...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by riverbush, Jul 1, 2002.

1. riverbush

riverbush

Jun 30, 2002
    ..I can't quite get the tone I'm after.

The playability, feel, action, etc., is everything I could want, but the sound just isn't there yet (my cirrus is walnut).

Main problem is a weak 'plinky' G string. I have tried raising the pickup on the G string side, and I have tried several different strings, all to no avail.

I like this bass too much to give up on it. I play 60's rock, and in a worship band at church.

Would love to hear from other cirrus owners.

Has anyone tried replacing pickups?

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I don't know, I wouldn't exactly call my G "weak"... have you tried another set of strings? Or could it be your right hand technique?

3. some guy#2

some guy#2

Feb 3, 2001
    I would seriously consider this instead:
    parametric EQ!

I swear, they work WONDERS!

Have you any experience/knowledge of them?

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Before you buy anything else, attack this problem logically. Get down to basics. Let's look at how you're playing it, what strings you're using, how you're setting the tone controls on the bass and the amp. Then we can see if we can make any progress.

Changing pickups will not fix all tone problems, especially the ones caused by your hands or habits.

5. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    well put.

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I wouldn't call my G weak either, I guess. I have a maple/alder Cirrus 5. I have strung it with the Peavey Cirrus strings, DR Highbeams, and currently have a set of Rotosound Swing66's on it. All of the above have worked great.

I also have my pickups raised up to the point where they are very close to the strings. In fact, I believe Peavey recommends that the pups be as close to the strings as possible without hitting.

My Cirrus has a very even response, from the low B string up to the G string. And while the EQ isn't up to par with the Bart 3 band in my Modulus, it still does a very good job of dialing in most any sound I am looking for. So I don't think new pups/preamp is something to jump into right away, IMHO.

Don't know if I have been of much help here, I am just rattling off stuff off the top of my head about mine.;)

7. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I've got a fretless Cirrus Redwood 5 (I owned a fretted Maple 6 before it) and I must have tried 8 or 10 other Cirruses (Cirri?) before I bought them.

Coming from a StingRay with a weak G string (which I've since remedied with a Bartolini pickup), string balance and evenness of tone were foremost in my mind when shopping for a new bass, and each Cirrus I tried-4, 5, or 6 strings, fretted/fretless, every wood configuration-had great string balance and sounded very even, top to bottom-so unless you got a real clunker I'd think you're probably dealing with a setup/playing style/amp issue.

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    You're talking about the soloed sound. How does the cirrus sound in the mix with other instruments?

I have a Peavey TL-6 and everybody I talk to thinks the sound is great, although I take the soloed sound for granted.

9. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    I have been checking out a used Cirrus 5 at a local
    shop for about a week. I wanted a "less expensive"
    bass to backup my very high end basses (check
    my profile). The strings were dead and the finish
    had not been taken care of. Well I bought it today for 900.00. I know the price was kind of high for a
    used Cirrus but thats okay. When I got it home I put a new set of stings on it. I also cleaned it up with a little Homer Formby's Lemon Oil. Wow this is a very nice bass for the price I paid and it looks brand new now!! The action is fantastic...but the spacing is a little close for me. It has a walnut body with a Wenge top. Sounds great... even the G string. Overall I think I got a pretty good deal.
    Dan

10. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    this might be so obvious that it's stupid,
    but are the batteries fresh?

11. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    Bass7755, i just sold my bubinga/walnut cirrus 5 a couple of days ago for $775 shipped. Coincidentally, those numbers are in your Username!
    mine was in perfect condition with regular tung-oil treatments to keep the wood in beautiful condition.
    hmm... maybe i shoulda held out longer for more money...???
    oh well~

12. the high string on my cirrus six aren't weak but the tone is definitely not my style and i've also been wondering if anyone has played/seen/heard of anyone modifing a cirrus and it having positive effects.

13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I believe that there is a Cirrus 5 for sale at the Bass Palace right now that has been upgraded with Barts. Maybe someone who lives near there has played it??

14. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    The G will naturally be a little thinner sounding. I agree on lifting the pickup as high as it will go. EQ can fatten your sound, I've found. You do have to check your batteries quite often with this bass, so the question is legitimate. I use Peavey Cirrus strings and they work perfect. You've got a great bass. Just work with it!

15. riverbush

riverbush

Jun 30, 2002
    i've used peavey cirrus strings, TI powerbass, daddario slowwound, fender nickel strings (forget the number), and as of last night, TI jazz flats on this bass,

the TI flats with my sansamp bass driver is coming very close to the sound I'm after,

i'm still amazed at the high output of the TI flats (just don't care for the low tension)...

16. riverbush

riverbush

Jun 30, 2002
    i did find another thread about replacement bartolinis (TL-4?) for the cirrus... has anyone tried / heard these pups on a cirrus?

17. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    I wouldn't replace the Cirrus pickups! Like Brad said, changeing your pickups won't help your tone problems at all. Try re-eqing your amp before you make a drastic choice.

18. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I agree on keeping the pickups. They're excellent and on par with the likely replacements. Keep EQing.

19. i have been since i got the thing. i've found tones that are tolerable for me but they're just that, tolerable

20. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Then why did you get it? Was it an EBay opportunity?