I Love to Slap and Pop and Want Something Funky!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FunkyLemz, Oct 30, 2005.

1. FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Okay, here's is the deal - I have a stingray 4 and a carvin 6, but Im in the market to find out what basses would suit my needs. I know I can search for reviews and other threads posted, but it seems a bit easier to concentrate to my situation (this is a $1000+ decision). Well, I love the stingray a lot, but the carvin just doesn't do it for me (it has a humbucker/j pickup set). I can get some funkyness from the stingray and now Im looking at what I could use for a different type of tone in another bass. The reason for the by is for tone option, the ability to have a backup that I like and is a 4 string, and jsut plain variety. So the basses I come to think of so far are - Warwick Thumb - anyone know the difference b/w bolt-on and not, Spector Euro, and Fender Jazz (maybe the marcus milller) - should I look at any other models of the jazz ? Now, Im not telling someone to make the choice for me, but I wanted to hear what you guys have to say - as far as other options, these basses inparticular, and anything else that will help. Thanks so much guys and I would have to say prices up to $1600 would be my peak.
  2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'd reccommend a Warwick thumb 4 string, with the singlecoils. The differences between Thumbs? The BO model is made of Ovangkol, whereas the NT model has a Bubinga body. The BO has a 2-band EQ whereas the NT has a 3 band EQ.

And there is a massive difference in the price.
  3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Have you thought about just replacing the pickups/pre in your Carvin? It may be that some new electronics (Barts, SD) will do the trick and save you a lot of money.
  4. fretlesscjl

Mar 26, 2002
    St Louis, Mo
    I would probably say go for a Jazz Bass. Go to your local music store prepared to play EVERY single jazz bass on the wall. I tended to like the alder body ones with maple fingerboards for slapping, as well as for overall tone. If you want a more active tone just pick up an Aguilar DB-924. That's just me though. Or Find a Modulus VJ4, or the enesis VJ4, which you can get with a maple neck and fingerboard. They sound awesome.
  5. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Agreed. Play 'em all til you find one you feel comfortable with tonewise.
  6. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Always groove.... Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Get a Matt Pulcinella 5JJ. Price is $1599, so you'll have a dollar left over. ;)

I have a 5JJ and it is an outstanding bass all around. Killer J bass slap tone with the Dimarzio and Aguilar preamp.
  7. FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I like the maple neck look on the jazz basses. So what do you guys think of the Marcu Miller bass. Should I just go with a regular fender jazz (deluxe, stnd, etc...) or would this maybe do the trick?
    Thanks guys
  8. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Always groove.... Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Marcus Miller basses are some of the best bang for the buck out there. I've tried some that are great (like the one I own) and have tried some that were mediocre. Definitely try before you buy.
  9. fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I loved the MM jazz I played a few weeks ago. AFIK, the MM's have a 7 1/4" radius, whereas most other Fenders have 9 1/2". I prefer the vintage feel. Also, the MM had a seriously good slap tone. It's all personal opinion, though, so try before you buy.
  10. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Used Warwick Streamer Stage 1, if you like your slapping and funk then you will love this bass. As used by funkmeister himself Stuart Zender of Jamiroquai's true funky days. I have racked up many happy hours on the local store's Stage 1, the bridge pickup gives some really great slap sounds and the P pickup in the neck offers some really different tones. Bass Central have a few used Streamer S1s in at the moment for $1500 and $1600 respectivley. It's a very smooth bass, the neck is fast and not fat, like a Jazz bass neck but it fills your hand just a little more, felt perfect to me. Nicest bass I've ever slapped, I've played plenty of J basses but the Streamer spanked all of them.
  11. ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Everyone swears by the sadowsky J's, those may be worthy of you taking a look at.
  12. chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I have a couple G & L's, and a MM Sterling as my main basses. When I need to slap, my Geddy Lee Jazz with a J-retro blows them all away.
  13. i would totally recommend the Marcus Miller. I just got one recently and it is awesome both in passive and especially when you flip the switch into active mode. I would also recommend the victory bailey. i just played on two days ago and it is a sweet bass and looks extemely sharp
  14. hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I'll give another vote for the J-bass, especially the MM. Another option would be the Lakland Skyline John Osborn or Darryl Jones.. I have a JO with a J-retro, and it's SO funky!
  15. Man someone needs to slap and pop you upside the head! Get your thumb out and go practice! That's where the funk is!

Look at the players who play your style of music and see what basses they choose.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You know, Discgraham is right, except for one thing...you don't own a Fender yet ;)

But seriously, if I had the impression you were buying another bass to make you slap better, I would completely agree with Discgraham. But if you're just looking for another bass to placate your GAS demon, I would highly recommend a Fender, and not just the Marcus, either. I'm not big on active electronics and preamps, so I'd go for a 62 Reissue Jazz, but they're $1400, which is over your budget. The Marcus is a good bass, though. You really can't go wrong with a Fender no matter what model. I've played Laklands and Smiths and Sadowskys, and they're all great basses, but I believe Fenders are every bit as good as those other ones when you find a good one.
  17. Got all excited when I saw the title for this thread...then I find out it's for a different kind of bass.... :D
  18. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I'd say look at a Lakland Darryl Jones or a Fender Marcus Miller.

I darn near bought a 'ray, but decided the Lakland DJ was a little more versatile for my needs. I thought I was going to be sacrificing something in the slap department by doing that, but the DJ exceeded all expectations, and it's a slap monster in the tone department!!!

For maximum punch, look for a good outboard preamp to pair it with.
  19. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

I would say any Sadowsky Jazz, especially the UV series

Also, music man sound really cool

20. I don't know if it's the woods (walnut body / maple neck), the string-thru-body bridge, the stainless steel frets, the pu's (SD Vintage P / Hot Stack J, passive) or a combination of all of the above, but with the stack wired in parallel and both pu's on, you get an absolutely killer slap tone (even without any eq at all!) on my Warmoth Jazz, which came up to about $1200: