1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I`m a bit bored of my job. Should I look another one ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Papersen, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    After 11 years of being working for the same company, I`m feeling a bit bored of it.

It`s a weird feeling, since I have a solid position, I`m recognized by my bosses, work at an international corporation and get well payed. However, I`m not "enjoying" my daily job and get pretty bored and unmotivated frequently.
    It`s something really strange, since it`s not the way I am. I like challenges, I`m competitive and always enjoy learning, but none of these apply to me daytime job.

I don`t have bad relations with the people who work with me, but I can`t consider them friends. I used to have some friends at work but they`re no longer here.

I`m in a place where many people want to be, but I`m not satisified. Has this ever happened to any of you ?

2. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    never had a job b4 in my life (15)

3. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Banned

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    ^^^^^ you might as well not posted

4. Oh yeah! I feel for ya.

I've been doing the same job for some time now and wish I had something else I could move on to. Something a little more rewarding.

Someone once said, the best jobs are the ones that doesn't actually feel like work. (or something like that). If you know what that job is, go for it and don't look back. being happy is more important.

5. Neither should you. Oh god I'm doing it too!

:D

To the OP, don't be content! Strive to live your life to the absolute fullest. If you even feel for a second that you could be doing something better with your time on earth, then don't even think about settling for less.

6. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I made over a $100K last year doing something I consider completely worthless so I'm taking a big pay cut and running away to join the circus.
    Really.
    Life is too damn short to stay stuck anywhere.

7. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Don't quit. Stay at your job for another 20 years and go on a killing spree when you can't handle it anymore. By then guns should be self-targeting, so you should have an easier job.

8. The best thing to do in your situation is to have a casual sitdown with your boss and talk about your future. Tell them how you feel, how you want to learn and compete and want a challenge. How you feel you've hit a plateau. Every job gets stale, especially after a decade. If you are genuinely hard working and consistant with it, your boss will see it and be behind you 100%. If you want more, you need to ask for it. Who knows, you may be taking a couple steps up the ladder if you just talk about it and show that you have the drive.

9. Tim Cole

Tim Cole Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Screw that, cash is king.

Cut your expenses, work a few more years....pay off the house and other debts, and retire.

As soon as I get all of the above paid off, I am not doing jack.

10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Follow your heart, do what makes you happy!

11. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    You may be bored with your job, but doesn't it allow you other things? Maybe you can pay for your children's college, Maybe you can play the music you want through the equipment you want because you don't have to worry about your income.

I'm lucky in that I love my job. But I'd much rather go to a job in an office environment that I get paid well at, be able to take my wife out to dinner, spend a few thousand on gear, buy my kids the things they need, have a retirement account, go to concerts, and plays, etc and be a little bored, than work at a lower paying job and not be able to do the above things but find the work interesting.

12. Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
    That`s exactly my situation now. I can do all the things you describe, however I`m not satisfied.
    I`ve been thinking a lot about "enjoying life" and doing the things I want. I`m a bit tired of that "tomorrow". I`m totally convinced that taking care of my beloved ones is my real target. Of course, my job lets me do a lot for them, but also takes some other things (time to be with them, for example).

OTOH, I`ve already talked to my boss about that. We`ve got a good relation and he wanted to know my goals. I know that I`d would to travel around the world. Stupid ? Naive ? Senseless ? Maybe, but I know how I feel when I do that, and meet people from other cultures. I know I gotta follow that path, but still don`t know how.

Thanks for the input guys. I truly appreciate it.

13. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Y'know, it happens regularly that I'm well into a day I started in overtime, have already made several hundred bucks and that's the time it all seems the most worthless. That happens a lot and at some point if you keep saying to yerself, "the money doesn't matter" you have to start listening. Maybe I'm just lucky that I live in a city that's been growing my whole life but my attitude is that there's lots of money out there. If I need money I just have to go get it and it's nothing I should be putting my life on hold for for very long or doing anything that makes me unhappy.

My plan is to sell the loft and retire onto a sailboat and keep working playing bass and doing what other work I want. I don't really plan on ever completely retiring. With the increased value of my place I could probably pull that off right now and if I had any retirement advice it'd be to buy a place to live in asap and stay out of all other debt.

14. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I guess a simpler way to put what I was saying is:

You're going to have to find what makes you happiest overall. Maybe you'll love your job more when you're there, but be disappointed at home because you don't have the money to take a trip around the world.

Plus, I don't know what kind of job you would end up getting, but my wife works for hospice and she sees a lot of hard workers coming from the factories dying of COPD at a relatively young age. A family member did intensive labor all his life. Now his body is shot. Just things to consider.

15. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Shoot...with the exception of a couple of jobs doing technical typing for professors, I have utterly *hated* *every* *single* *job* I've ever had that wasn't playing music. I hate the job I have now, but the hours are good, so I stay.

I have to work, so I go do it. I LOATHE office work, and can't do the nights/weekends that so many other jobs require. So...I stay in jobs I despise, just to pay the bills.

If you're really that bored, look around and see if there's something else that appeals to you. If you can't find anything, stay where you are, and look again in six months.

I'm always looking for a new job. Trouble is, I never find anything I like. I'm all manner of qualified for high-end admin assistant stuff, but I HATE IT! I only want a little reception job where I type letters and do filing and answer the phone and don't supervise anyone and don't work any overtime. Those old tech typist jobs that I really enjoyed are gone...they have uni students do that now, for much less money. Bastages.

Cherie

16. Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
    Interesting perspective.
    I sometimes feel that work is taking an important of me. I`ve known some other people that really LIVED dedicated to their jobs only to make money and to acquire material stuff. That`s not definitely not my goal.

Thanks for your opinion

17. always be looking. that way when they lay you off, you know what's out there.

18. There is a reason it's called "work".

Make sure your children's future is provided for and that you have adequate health coverage for yourself and your spouse.

Those are your priorities, your "personal satisfaction" won't pay the bills.

19. Tim Cole

Tim Cole Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Ahh, the big money blinders.

Or, see the other side of things where buying groceries is a luxury.

Ask someone working where you get your oil changed, shop, or any place else how they feel about that.

Just go get it....lol. It's really not that easy. I am in the massive flood area you saw all over the news last week, and spent the week knee deep in **** helping my friends and family who did ALL of the work, and paid for the resto themselves. The uninsured building owner showed up in his new car, clean fancy clothes, asking when "we" were going to get started on his other building in trade for rent on the shop we already fixed. Someone in our group made the statement that they don't think he knows what it's like to have a family to feed, and $8 in your checking while busting balls to keep the business open, when it is the slick ricks responsibility to maintain the building. Financial blinders, if you will.

That is a most excellent goal.

That is pretty sound advice, and actually the road I am on now too. Your attitude of "money is everywhere, go find it" is positive, but most likely pretty skewed to what the rest of the world faces. I do fairly well for myself now, and am tighter than bark on a tree with my finances. Within the next year, I plan to buy an upper mid to high end home, and use my income over the next 5 years or so to pay it off.

There was a time, not too long ago however......that things weren't so great. I was breaking my back every day, and making 30k was considered a killer year. I took a huge risk with what small nest egg I had accumulated, and expanded my business in hopes of greener pastures. Well, all of the grass died, and directly led to chapter 7 bankruptcy. I did what I had to do, and spent a years worth of "extra" money, and credit cards on education. As I said, I am doing pretty okay now, but I certainly don't complain while I am into the 12th hour of the day working, when I am well into 4 digits income for the day when reflecting back to life just a few years ago. Dough is hard to come by, if you've found an avenue to make it flow, my advice is to stick with it, and nest egg so you can go do whatever you want down the short road.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

20. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao EspaƱa
    Well you live in argentina... do you think it is safe to move into another job? better be bored at work than scerwed in life...