Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I`m back!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Usul, Aug 16, 2000.

1. Hey all!

Well,I finally took the plunge and picked up an Ibanez jump start bass combo for $299.00 I actually purchased her back in may and have been learning on my own and trying my hand at tabs(thank you talkbass.com :)since junish or so...

Well,I suck but not as bad as when I first started.Does that make sense? lol

Seriously though.I have gleaned much wisdom and insight from all of you over the past several months.Yes,I kept up with the sight and YES I did get a metronome(seiko digital one).That is my main obstacle now...getting/keeping the time of the songs.Getting better but...

I guess it is getting serious now.I bought a Crate BFX50 amp at the Guitar Center in Sacto.a few weeks ago and love it!Finally....I can play louder than my computer speakers! woohooo!!

My plans are to hook up with a decent teacher and start taking lessons asap.I need/want to learn all the dreaded scales but am overwhelmed with what I find online.Makes my pea brain ache.Any suggestions?

Well,guys/gals that is about all for now(pain killers kicking in you know).Am always open to suggestions,advice,comments,insults,etc....

P.S.Where can I find a tab for the No Doubt song "Simple Life"?Not a fan,but the bass in that song is Phat!! Methinks he doth play a 5 string though :-(

2. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Woo hoo! He got the metronome and he's USING it!

Welcome back...you've asked a lot of questions in your post there that could probably be best answered if you spread them around the appropriate forums here at Talkbass.

Only advice: move away from the Tabs and learn notation. Trust me.

Enjoy! :):)

-GM

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Tell me of your homeworld, Usul.

:D

Welcome back, hook up with a teacher that can teach you to read, and you'll progress faster.

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, that whole metronome debate didn't scare you away? cool. now we have to try to with a pros/cons of tabs. this one is actually easy -

pros (how is tab better than notation) :

cons (how is notation better than tab) : every other way.

:D

learn reading. toss the tabs. there is no other way.

5. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    Just imagine if Beethoven wrote his symphonies using tabs. Can you imagine all the musicians banging their heads against walls?

6. frost13

frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    I was once one of those people against metonomes, until my wife pointed out something to me. She asked me..."what if you had not be blessed with natural timing.....don't you think THAT would be one of the hardest things to first learn?" Yep....sometimes I do take things for granted. So whatever tools one can use to better learn this "art" of music.....the smarter you are to use them.....:)

7. bste9

bste9

Jun 15, 2000
    St. Louis
    As far as "simple kind of life", you were right, tony kanal does use a five string on this song. for the music and tabs to it,check out this months issue of bassplayer, they have a nice article about tony kanal and no doubt.

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Dang it, Embellisher, you beat me to it :D....

....Muad'Dib, we welcome your return [spits on table] (for those that don't know the story, that's an honor, the gift of the body's water).

Congradulations on the purchase of your first instrument (of self-induced insanity ;) ), and glad to hear that you also purchased a metronome (despite the silly debate elsewhere...sheesh :rolleyes: ).

I'll go along with the others that strongly suggest you learn to read standard notation. Ditch the tab, it'll only hinder you later.

Hope to see you around, Usul.