I made a bass practice amp out of cardboard

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AlanSanJoseBass, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Eli_Kyiv

Eli_Kyiv

Apr 7, 2020
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Next step is to make it run on 18650 Li-Ion rechargeable cells. Obvs.

mcnach likes this.
  2. SLPimp

SLPimp An Injury to One is an Injury to All Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2020
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    I just bought a TC Thrust, so I totally get the trash thing. Love it.

3. Sushi Box FX

Sushi Box FX Supporting Member Commercial User

May 23, 2020
    Chicagoland, USA
    Sushi Box FX, owner
    I haven't seen anyone else ask yet, so I have to ask: how long can it run on the 8x D cells? Really neat idea!

DrMole likes this.
  4. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    IMHO that cab covering is way better than rat fur...

DrMole and 2tonic like this.
  5. juggahnaught

juggahnaught

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    Makes me wonder what can be done with a milk crate and some way to cover it.

6. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    Weight?:)

DrMole, 2tonic and Lobster11 like this.
  7. LAST_C

LAST_C Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Florida
    That's a cool idea!

8. Peteyboy

Peteyboy

Apr 2, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Just a fun $50 project. OP obviously knows he's not approaching the durability of Baltic birch.

9. pbass74

pbass74

Sep 19, 2015
    Sunland, CA
    Does it have a boxy sound?

DrMole and Al Kraft like this.
  10. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I know that - I was postulating the limits of this construction technique, which may or may not be able to be sufficiently tough with enough layers and technique development.

Obviously, the OP's box is a simple home project, but I develop products (and processes to make them) for a living, so I do a lot of postulating about where things might go. I have a bass where the tuner holes were bigger than I wanted them, so I reduced the hole size with....grocery bags and glue as a composite - that technique, as home spun as it seems, is much tougher than the wood around it.

DrMole, andruca and 2tonic like this.
  11. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    A spherical enclosure is a very good idea (aside from the tendency to roll around) - when you pressurize it with sound waves, the entire surface is in tension - it's ridiculously stiff. A balloon as a form for a composite spherical structure would be one way of making a light, stiff enclosure. If you've ever seen woven composite pressure tanks, they're either spherical or cylinders with half spheres on each end for this very reason.

andruca, Eli_Kyiv and 2tonic like this.
  12. Peteyboy

Peteyboy

Apr 2, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Well yes, but you're aware of the fact that he's already built the thing right?

mcnach and 2tonic like this.
  13. 2tonic

2tonic

Dec 22, 2015
    What should we call this new composite?
    I know there's basswood.
    I know there's boxwood.
    Would that I could know what wood it would be, if it would have wood in it!

Well, just add some tort and it'll be fine.

14. Rooster009

Rooster009

Feb 27, 2008
    recycled toilet paper wood

2tonic likes this.
  15. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Yes - the pictures pretty much solidified that. Given that his is already built his, the point of the thread is not advice.

Extrapolation? Sure.

2tonic likes this.
  16. Extrapolated Cord wood cabinet. Love it, McGiver Cord wood bass cabs.

17. javadog

javadog

Mar 13, 2010
    I thought about branding a line of cardboard cabinets marketed towards the cost sensitive consumer. The company would be called Bargaintino Audio Systems and the logo would be written in lime green on a piece of black duct tape. Do you think Jim would be OK with that ? Only a few of you big dog high end amplifier and cabinet snobs will get this one .
    Oh, and I would spray paint the cardboard cabinets black and maybe tape on a piece of black screen door screen over the speaker to make them look more like a real cabinet. What do you think ?

18. I assume many have seen the building of a cardboard Fender Strat. (Check YouTube)(Fender factory IIRC) There was nothing lacking tone wise in it. Wood neck, though, and body of cardboard reinforced with resin. So, What would be a cost effective resin to coat the surfaces of this cab with? It would increase strength and rigidityand improve tone, but of course, at a cost.

javadog likes this.
  19. javadog

javadog

Mar 13, 2010
    That is a good question, Kirk. What immediately came to mind is to spray the exterior cab surfaces with something like superglue, so it would have a sort of shell
    like an insect. Cyanoacrylate might be too expensive, but maybe not if you bought it by the 55 gallon drum. It might not be strong and rigid enough in a thin layer, either.

20. TexasThunder

TexasThunder Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2018
    Texas
    For an extremely durable and inexpensive outer covering, look up poor mans fiberglass. Two things are needed...canvas drop cloth and wood glue.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021