1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I made a tab editor, could use some feedback

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mudloop, Jan 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Mudloop

Mudloop

May 10, 2015
    Writing tabs with a text editor sucks ass. There's options available, but I wanted to try my hand at making a tab editor myself.

Could use some feedback on what to improve, or just what you guys and gals think.

It's browser-based, so no need to install anything. There's no saving or convert to text yet, so don't do anything with it that you will need later :)

Here it is : TAB Lodge

I'm considering making the tab editing component open source.

DirtDog and Farrin D like this.
  2. Picton

Picton Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    Cool! Simple, which I like.

3. Mudloop

Mudloop

May 10, 2015
    Thanks for checking it out!

There's some nifty features :
    - You have a row above and below the strings (for q e h, or comments etc).
    - Pressing space will insert a column after the current position (making the staff larger).
    - Pressing backspace or delete will first empty the current cell. If that's already empty, it will empty the current column. If that's empty, it will remove the current column (shortening the staff).
    - Typing "|" will insert it into the entire column
    - Changing tunings is somewhat smart. If you change from standard 4 strings to standard 6 string, it will use the lowest string as the base. But if you switch from 4 strings to a 5 string bass, the new string is placed under the lowest one.

Grumry likes this.
  4. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    I haven't written a tab since I was like 12, but this looks awesome. Good work.

5. Mudloop

Mudloop

May 10, 2015
    I added import/export, so it's possible to save tabs to your computer (in a custom format, text will come later), and import them again.

Thanks!

Grumry likes this.
  6. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville

7. Mudloop

Mudloop

May 10, 2015
    At this point it's just to save progress. The format is text-based, so you can open it in notepad, but it won't look very useful. But in a day or two, there will be a text tab export (and possibly pdf later).

In a later phase you will be able to login and save tabs to the server, edit them later, share them, etc, but all that is a lot of work :)

Grumry likes this.
  8. OleksyPetrenko

OleksyPetrenko

Aug 27, 2018
    Ukraine
    Mudloop, thanks for this little (app?)! One thing I would find very useful is the "general undo" button and ability to copy paste in a "boxed" fashion (like you do it with pictures, not in a line by line fashion, as we commonly have it with the text). And of course - any kind of exporting it to a txt file would be just great.

Thanks again!