Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I made a video (Wooten cover)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bardolph, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Norwegian Wood as played by Victor Wooten. I dumbed it down slightly to make it playable and chopped off some of the beginning and end. I've still got to work on playing it in good time and getting those fast triplets clean. Anyway, let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnPYUfM62rk

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Very good. Can't wait to hear it when you've mastered it! Keep up the good work! Suggestion though.......why not come up with your own version? Develop your own voice! There's enough Wooten clones to go around!

3. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Eh, I just wanted to upload something.

4. Tony Oppenheim

Tony Oppenheim

Nov 17, 2005
    Author, Slap It! Funk Studies for the Electric Bass
    Enjoyed your video!

Keep posting!

5. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
  6. Tony Oppenheim

Tony Oppenheim

Nov 17, 2005
    Author, Slap It! Funk Studies for the Electric Bass
    Lol!

Next time take a deep breath instead of taking it out on your bass. :)

Seriously, if you want to get to the next level spend time practicing much slower then what you're playing in the video (maybe you're doing this already?).

Some of this really slow practice time should be with a metronome or other time keeping device, to keep you honest about being able to play all portions of the music at a consistent tempo, without mistakes.

In other words, don't practice your mistakes. Which is generally what ends up happening if you practice too fast.

Practice slowly enough so that you can play the piece without mistakes and only speed up when you've mastered it a given tempo.

This may seem tedious at first, but it will give you a chance to workout subtle details that currently you might be glossing over a little.

Keep practicing you're sounding really good!

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Ya, it is very nice. But do try and do your own thing with it. I play a bunch of vic's songs, but I never meticulously learn them like vic plays them, I learn them to suit my playing style or my preferences. Vic himself doesn't always approach his songs the same way(even his done-up arrangements). But it was still cool, and you did a good job with it.

8. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    Very nice tone!

9. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Very good work man, thanks for sharing it.

10. great post

11. JHL

JHL

Apr 8, 2005
    London, England
    I think you did a great job on this one, good time, tone, precision etc.

Why can't people just relax and enjoy the music? You can't teach someone to find their own voice... that comes from playing.
    As long as you play what you love to play you will sound like a mix of all those things... and that is your voice.