Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I MADE ALL STATE JAZZ BAND!!!! WOOOHOOOO

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DEFELDUS, Jan 24, 2004.

1. WOOOOOOOT!

the auditions today were earlier today and i though i didnt do so well, then my friend showed me this link http://bandlink.org/events/Jazz/jazz2004/ASJazzBand.htm

and i bout **** myself!

wow, im so excited. man this rocks! ill stop now before i look any dumber...

:bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

2. I envy you David.

Good Luck.

3. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Your name is Mary?

You're big for a girl!

j/k :D

That's GREAT!

Congratulations, and a big smooch
    here from one of my girlfriends!

[​IMG]

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Gahhh!!!!!

Anyway, congrats, that rocks....err...swings!

5. :D

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Congrats!

7. Oh yeah! Don't forget to bring some of that TB attitude to your rehearsals.

Congrats on the excellent showing!!

8. sweet. man good job. good luck

9. thanks guys :D

i just got some more info on what we will be doing. on thursday march 4th we will all meet at anderson college and we will stay there until saturday. during this time we will rehearse and do other neat things such as improv clinics and other things of that nature with some real first class pros. friday night there is a jazz event in downtown anderson where we will get to hear a lot of good bands and combos. but saturday is the biggie. that is the day of jazz festival, where all the high school jazz bands in the state play and get a rating etc. we are the last band to perform that day, so all eyes will be on us :cool:

oh yeah, another cool thing they did this year was make two full jazz bands. in past years they would only make one and an alternate combo, but they had so many try out and they didnt want so many to be excluded (for instance, there were about 24 drummers try out and they didnt want 23 to be left out) so they made two jazz bands so more than one person can have a chance. coolest deal about it all: the other bass player that made it is a girl that plays upright :eek: :D

i cant wait!

oh yeha, i think there were about 15 bass players try out, and i didnt even think i did well yet i still made it! talk about an ego boost! and the girl that made it is from a private school for the arts...

10. I'll be your roadie if you introduce me to the girl :)

11. oh, and a few of you have asked me about what the audition consisted of so here:

first we had to play 5 major scales 2 octaves

then chromatic scale over full range of instrument (low E to high Eb)

next was playing a solo piece we had prepared ahead of time (they choose a few months in advance) this year it was a peter washington piece from a jim snidero book

then we had to do some sightreading (this was tough!) the sightreading was extremely tough but my director (who judged tbones yesterday) said they do that on purpose, to see how you handle it (ie, if you quit playing if you mess up or not etc)

then they put a tape in a tape player and said "ok now we're going to do some blues" and hit play. didnt tell me key or anything...
    so i started walking down the neck and found out it was f blues, so i continued doing a walking line. then while i was still going he said ok now trade 4s with yourself. so i walked 4 measures, then soloed 4 measures.

that was it :)

12. back off! :p

13. Damn...If I tried out I'd fail so horribly.

Me and you need to discuss some music on AIM one of these days:p

14. hit me up, screen name is defeldus04

15. I don't know how the procedure works down there but (so I've heard) a musician must first make all division jazz ensemble before passing onto all state in CT.

My school's music director suggested my good friend(the most excellent guitarist) try out next fall(senior year). We're supposed to get music prepared over the summer and then tryout.

Question: I play upright bass too. Would it be better for me to try out on upright or electric? Are the requirements different?

Glenn

ps- good luck

16. well, here in SC we have two systems, one for classical and one for jazz. the classical works in the division/then state setup, but there is only a jazz all state. i would tryout on upright, as in past years upright players made it over electrics, but that trend seems to be changing. i think if you nailed it on either you would get in. good luck!

oh, and no, the requirements are the same :)

17. [​IMG]

18. yumm!

my grits are still better than your crap northeasterner! :p

19. My pancakes will own you anyday.

20. leggo my eggo