1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I made new knobs for my bass!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Lexy Bivens, Oct 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Lexy Bivens

Lexy Bivens

Aug 26, 2018
    BFE Nebraska
    Hi all, sorry,so busy trying to get outside stuff done to house b4 weather turns, I've not been online!
    So I made new knobs for my bass!!

Saw were $10 EACH online, went NOPE and pulled out my "crafting" supplies and (I'm a MAJOR geek) die contact lol.

This is 1st set, not the right colors,but the practice set. Going to do a funky green purple (as bass is mangowood top,its actually deep green wood, not black)

These are greenish blue,light hated me and should polished first! But no directions,so I'm proud of myself.

(And what number is facing me when I put them on tells me it's all the way down.it had plain black rounded top plastic knobs. That I put a strip of nail polish down one crease on each as a marker. Girls are handy!!)

BE HONEST PLEASE
    I thought 20 sided as it's a bass, not a wimpy lil sounding guitar. So should have d20s, not d6 or d9s

Attached Files:

2. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough

Sep 30, 2012
    Portland, Oregon USA
    The geek in me recognizes and honors the geek in you.

Very cool

3. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Not for me, but I appreciate the idea. I think something like that needs a dragon sticker or something like that to make it the look come together.

gebass6 and Lexy Bivens like this.
  4. Dice! I did the same thing with one of my basses. But I made a mistake when I drilled the "1" side on each one. When I mounted them it said "666". So I fixed that quickly!

IMG_20180903_180305056_LL~3.jpg
    BnB

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  5. Lexy Bivens

Lexy Bivens

Aug 26, 2018
    BFE Nebraska
    I woulda left it! LMBO!
    I was widening them a bit more, and slipped on how deep went past my tape (I don't have any press, so Dremmel and drill, tape mark bits for depth) and punched through the 20 on one.
    But the owner of the place to get dice in town I've known for.... Dang, middle school? So when they get next shipment in, I'm gonna go grab what I want. They didn't have the color in I wanted anyway (a weird purple/green. It's a deep green wood grain, that looks mirror black if you're about a foot away)

bound'n'blocked likes this.
  6. Lexy Bivens

Lexy Bivens

Aug 26, 2018
    BFE Nebraska
    I'm thinking of making some Lego mini fig ones.
    (I've specialty ones, like Ash from Evil Dead, Bob Ross, Wolverine, and various Dr Who's and the "monsters" ... )with a base obv from bricks.

A dragon is one of the inlays in considering. Lol.

wvbass likes this.
  7. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Lego mini figures. That is an idea with some possibilities. Again, probably not for me, but you sure could have a lot of fun in that direction. And i have to admit, I like how @bound'n'blocked 's FenderBird came together.

Lexy Bivens and bound'n'blocked like this.
  8. Lexy Bivens

Lexy Bivens

Aug 26, 2018
    BFE Nebraska
    I'm disabled (losy 85% use of my right arm, with the most painful thing known to man, and it NEVER.STOPS. Only gets worse on bad days.
    11 years, I've learned to live with it.
    So I dabble.
    If I pick up a press for my Dremmel ($25) and my various geek contacts (I only go to 1 con/year, due to I live in the middle of nowhere, so incomeincome driving and hotels etc) but the vendors know the crazy white girl with dreads who is either Bob Ross or Ash Williams (spy v spy, with plague masks if we ever get this house on market, hubby wants steampunk, that's gonna take me a while to make 2 esp with the 59900 women wore ugh) and will cut deals with me. (I do Bob Ross simply because it makes everyone smile. IDK HOW youyou men wear that itchy stuff in youryour face. And ever but long dreads under a wig? HOT! Yes my 16byr wears a sign that says HAPPY LIL ACCIDENT
    So I may start doing some various knobs and list em on the sell page here, etsy or ebay. And start picking up bits and pieces that fits the sizing needed, so can do more.
    I draw the line at skulls.

No darn skulls on ANY of our 5 motorcycles, or any of my (I lost count) instruments. Too cliche.
    I also do some sculpting with polymer clay, though I HAVE to color it before I start working on it. (I've 20# of white)

I, in a former lifetime, rebuilt full size animatronic dinosaurs, and would repair broken Dino bone exhibits that traveled (ribs ALWAYS break). Lots of sculpting and very fine work in the last steps.
    (gotta rip em open to replace REBs, etc)
    I ca Do it all

Except play bass lol

9. Very resourceful and neat.

10. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    From a fellow disabled (Progressive MS) bassist it sounds like you are fighting the good fight.

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  11. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

very fun! nice job! :thumbsup:

12. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast.

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Nice dice.

One other alternative for a marker is a 1/16" brass rod you can get from craft stores for a couple of bucks. You can cut to size with a dremel, make your bore with a 1/16" drill bit and just tap in the brass.
    1517158400863.jpg

13. Morrighan

Morrighan La Contessa Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
  14. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    When you get called for a solo you can throw a saving roll!

MrLenny1 and Morrighan like this.
  15. Morrighan

Morrighan La Contessa Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    Well seen.

16. Very cool and you crank it all the way to 19!

Would it too cliche’ as a fellow Nebraskan to suggest corn knobs? :woot:

Morrighan and saabfender like this.
  17. Should’ve left it.
    Would be the best knobs for metal. :smug:

bound'n'blocked and Morrighan like this.
  18. saabfender

saabfender Inactive

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Dang. Now I want wacky bass knobs.

Old Garage-Bander and Morrighan like this.
  19. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Cool, matches the bass well.

20. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Good call, there's a real untapped market for that. The luthier I'm currently doing electronics design work for has mentioned that to me several times. He's quite good at doing faux wood grain castings himself, for instance, but the time suck is making it hard to move forward with that. Especially with NAMM being right around the corner.

Best of luck with your health issues. I have a number of close friends dealing with MS, no bueno.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    Old Garage-Bander and Morrighan like this.