Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I made some knobs

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Oct 10, 2003.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I got bored the other night and decided that i would have a go at making some knobs. I took a small piece of Blackwood from school and put it onto our metal lathe. it worked better than i had expected. After i got it to the diameter i wanted, i put a nail in the then and put the nail intp the bench drill and sanded the edges round. Then i put clear lacker (sp?) on.

The only problems i came across with was the fact thati couldnt find the exact centre of the knob to drill the hole in.

Im thinking i might start up a small business, make knobs to order and sell a set of 5 for about $25-$30. I know these knobs arent the best, but if i take my time a bit more and really concentrate then i think i could create something really worth selling :D

[​IMG]

Needless to say im still rather proud of myself, considering what i did in a matter of hours :D

2. Well done Kirbs.... The more you make the better they'll get.. and fancy/more intricate.

Keep it up.

:D:D

Merls

3. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Nice knobs!.......uh........I said knobs......... And that's a sweet price for a set of five. Can you get different woods? A little more of a dome shape to the top, please.:D

4. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    :D

5. Way better then I could of done...I'd buy some if they were for free:D

6. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    As the piece is chucked up, use a drill bit in the taillstock, (provided you have a drill chuck for your tailstock... since you're on a metal lathe, I'd assume this to be true), drill the hole, turn the knob to size, create the dome shape and part off near the headstock. If you're also using a chuck in the headstock, as opposed to a faceplate, you could also reverse the part after turning it to shape...

HTH
    -robert

7. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Good knob's man, seriously...

I like that price too osama man...

8. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Thanks all
    i just finished rounding off some knobs, but im not sure what kind of wood it was. Any way im really considering selling them and putting ads here and there to get a bit more money.

Thanks all for your kind words :D

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    hey, kirbs, do i get a discount for makin the avatar? :D Very Cool. Now if you can make concentric knobs, I'd like some for my active jazz.

10. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    A discount prehaps, but not free :D jk. Umm, ill give making concentric knobs a go, if only i knew what concentric means :meh: :rolleyes:

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    you know, it usually only on basses with active EQ. One knob for treble, one for bass. On the same shaft

[​IMG]

12. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Hahahaha no.

I have been wondering how they're made. I can see how each part is indivdually made, but how do they stay together?

13. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    there is a pot that does double duty. It has a tip and a sleeve, much like a 1/4" plug. The sleeve rotates about the tip with the ring shaped knob on it. The tip has a smaller, regular styled knob on top. Each usually has a set screw for stability.

14. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    [​IMG]

15. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I need you to make me one out of maple for my Wishbass. Could you thread a hole and put a set screw? Maybe 8-32 or 6-32, etc?

16. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Check your PM's :D

17. Rope

Rope

May 27, 2003
    Essexville, MI
    Good job. You may be on to something. One thing you may figure out - once you have mastered "centering the hole", it isn't real difficult to use a simialr technique to put an abalone or other inlay in the top.

Keep it up. The world needs more craftsmen.

18. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Nice knobs, Kirbs! I think you're on to a good thing there. There's some beautiful Australian native woods that you could use. In a few years you could be Oz's very own Benavente/Nordstrand/Fodera or sumpthin :D.

19. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Forbes Basses :D:D

20. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Onya Kirbs. Welcome to the DIY club..........

My suggestion - make the timber more exotic and make the laquer glossier. Maybe add a rib or 2 for looks. Please forgive my brutal honesty but you don't want people to think they're just a piece of dowel cut to size.