Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I Made Uh... No. 2

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Luke Sheridan, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    Finally have this one just about finished. Just some minor tweaks. This one really taught me a lot about what can go wrong with a project, but in the end it came out pretty good.

So here it is:

Bubinga top from Tdog. Remember his wild find?
    Crotch Walnut back with White Limba and Walnut core, courtesy of Larry at Gallery Hardwoods.
    Lined Ebony Fretless with Epoxy finish. This was a Warmoth neck I had from an old bass. Stripped it, did Bubinga headstock lamination and added the Mirror Coat epoxy.
    Tung Oil and wax on body.
    ETS knobs. Brass nut. Ken Smith bridge.
    Electronics are Bartolini 5.3 A/P with Passive Bart P/Js. Brian at Bestbass gear was very helpful. There's also decals on the back of the headstock and neck just above the heel with the logo from my avatar, but my camera is pretty lame right now..
    It sounds awesome. Playing to Weather Report right now and it sounds fantastic!!! Mwwwwwaaaaaaahhhhhh

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Tdog

Tdog

May 18, 2004
    Luke....It looks fantastic! The Bubinga has an almost velvet-like quality to it. Nice wood combo!

3. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    What's that accent between the top and body, and where can I get some? All I can find is the black fiber stuff and dyed maple.

4. Luke Sheridan

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY

That's just 1/8 walnut from Gallery Hardwood

5. can also use wenge to get the same effect- though it can get splintery and temperamental.

6. Luke Sheridan

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Thanks for the comments all. I cranked this baby up at practice tonight and used it in place of my fretted bass. It really sounds nice... Playing fretless on the same songs opened up a whole new vibe.

7. Cool bass, can I see the headstock? sounds interesting. :)

8. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    That looks sweet. Much better looking than any NO. 2's that I've done.

9. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Looking good, and I love that top! :hyper: I thought the P/J pups were an interesting choice. I don't see many builders using them -- usually Js or soapbars.

10. Luke Sheridan

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Here's a few more shots. Looks like I forgot to remove a bit of masking tape. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The PJs always sounded nice, I thought. Cosmeticaly, well thats probably why soaps were invented.