Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I may be in trouble: Eden Time Traveler...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, May 16, 2002.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I need to stay out of the neighborhood pusher's store.

He recently picked up Eden as a line. I was up there after work, farting around with one of the new Hamer basses (nice!), and happened to plug into one of these.

Wow.

Don't get me wrong - I like my current (and not very old) RBI and power amp rig very much. But this little amp blew me away!

Now I'm beginning to fantasize about a Time Traveler and a small cab for a grab-and-go rig. (My other rig has grown into a four space for the preamp and other crap, a two space bag with the poweramp, and the cab - soon to be a pair of cabs, I hope.) A TT + 2x10 would fit right in my trunk. A Eden, Aggie, or Bag End 2x10, maybe? Or a TT with my existing Bag S15-D?

Hmmmm...

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Its a good little rig, but you get tired of that very warm tubey sound of the Eden. its ok, but after a while, it doesnt seem as clear or articulate as it should be. Your Sanzamp rig seems nice, i say hold onto that.

3. Ding! We have a winner.

The Eden sound is great if you have a really trebly bass. If you don't...don't get it.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    OMG! OMG!

what did i win, Bob??? :D

5. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Heavy! I have been playing Eden heads for a year now, Eden Cabs for a few months. I love the tone especialy with passive Fender basses. The tone Blew away my SVT3 pro by miles, if your more a classic rocker you'll dig the Eden for many years to come, Go for it!

6. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Yeah, no slap here - just straight-ahead bass.

That "tubey warmth" is one of the things I like most about my current rig, which I'm not looking to replace. I just want a second, smaller rig - mainly because I can!

joker, Peter - what's your style of playing? I'm curious to see where you're coming from.

7. See, I feel the opposite. Eden heads arent my favs, but I have been thinking of replacing my Ampeg cabs with a single Eden running off my SVTIIIPro because it sounds awesome (to me).

Greg

8. I'm a math-rocker by trade, and am starting to get more involved in funk and jazz. I have a fairly light fingerstyle, play with low action, and enjoy a good-natured bout of slapping from time to time.

My old WT-300 was a fabulous jazz amp, but in the rock bands I've played in, the combination of WT-300 and D-210Ts was very muddy, especially with my current bass.

I think Eden amplification is unbeatable if you have a Fender-style bass that doesn't really have a very complex signal and might need some extra oomph in the lows and low mids. My FBB spits out low midrange like nobody's business, so the tubey warmth of the WT-series just muddies things up.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    good question!

well, myself mostly a slapper/funker. i love a clear, round tone ala Marcus. now, you know, oh well...

10. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm going to drag my Bag End and Sterling up there after work today and see if I still like it. Danger!

11. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Finally did it last night - nice! I want!

How long have Time Travelers actually been out (I know they were announced last year)? There don't seem to be many people out there that have them...

12. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Y'all are aware that the Time Travelers don't have tubes?
    How do the tubeless TT's compare to Eden's WT's?

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm baffled by all this stuff about Eden being "too warm," "too trebley," or "too muddy". The EQ on Eden amps is superb and, if it's too muddy, you need only turn up your enhance. Still too muddy? Turn down the mid EQ at the culprit frequency. Need more mid bark? Turn up the mid at about 800 hz. Too trebley? Try turning down the treble shelf first. Still too trebley? Turn down the treble at the semi-parametric treble. I think you folks have not spent enough time futzing around with your EQ section.

I was just messing around the other night trying to see if I could get a sound similar to the output of the Yamaha NE-1 box without the NE-1. Not hard at all. I find the WT-300 to be remarkably versatile, and the only sound I have trouble creating is that crappy sound.

14. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I don't consider that to be a disadvantage for an amp that doesn't live in just one place...

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    DOH!

thought he was referring to the WT300 or 400. oh well... Eden's still have a woolly aggressiveness that gets tiring to my ear after a while. i find myself cranking the trebles and highs to about 3 o'clock. but then it starts to get too aggressive up there.

16. Heavy Duty, I'm real interested to get your review of the TT, I'm going to import an Eden TT, as I cant get Eden in my country, and I've been agonising over the choice of a TT or WT400, but thus far hardly anyone has given any reviews. I run a J-retro preamp onboard, so have huge tonal possibilities at my fingertips, I'm wondering if the tube in the WT400 may be a bit too warm . Damn, I wish I could try these things! I'm playing latin,jazz, rnb, bues, country, and rock.

17. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I have Eden WT 400, I think it is a great amp, tho' I did not use it any longer because now I am using either Aguilar DB 680 and Demeter VTBP 201 thru QSC 3402 powering Wayne Jones.

Eden is great , I use to put every knob flat and yet it still gives me that great tones.

18. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I didn't mean to suggest that it's lack of tubes put it at a disadvantage.
    It's just that some people were talking about how warm the Edens are, but were referring to the WT's. I just wanted to point out that the TT's and WT's are different in that the WT's have a tube and the TT's don't, and I wanted to know if the TT's sounded as good as the WT's, etc.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Three o'clock? For the love of Pete, crank anything to 3 o'clock on an Eden, and you're going to grow weary of it pronto. I'd never put anything past one o'clock.

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, but i got a flairs for the dramatique! :D

funny, but i spoke to an old friend at the studio today, and he was tellin' me i should give my WT400 a good ol' tubey swap. he said he had the same prob i had, and doing that made a world of a diff for him. and he loves his now, practically using it for anything he tracks in the studio.

now, where did i leave that Mullard CV4004??? ;)