1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I May Become a Teacher!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Apr 15, 2010.

1. I have 2 friends who work at a local music store giving lessons (one on guitar, one on piano). I've been looking for some extra work to put a little more money in my pocket and they said they could probably get me a job there giving bass lessons. Of course I was excited to hear about the opportunity, but I'm nervous too. I don't know music theory at all and I can hardly read music.
    They tell me it's no problem since I'll probably just start out giving beginner's lessons to kids; explaining the basics of how to play it and where the notes are etc. That much I can handle, those little beginner's books are easy enough that even I can teach someone how to do it.
    But I still feel funny about it. It seems kinda wrong that I might end up being a teacher when I still have so much to learn myself.
    I guess all I have to do is stay one lesson ahead of the student and I'll be fine, right? :ninja:

2. No not really. Perfect example of why I've had bad luck with music store instructors. Knowing how to play does not qualify one to teach.

3. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    I would advise against it.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    +1. i think one big qualification of a bass teacher is he or she stay WAAAAAAAAAAY more than one step ahead of the student.

5. :eyebrow: no, you should not be teaching.

6. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Seems pretty unanimous in here, and I'm going to have to agree as well. As someone who trains teachers for a living, I can tell you that staying just one step ahead of your students is no way to teach at all. Please, find a different way to earn some cash that uses the skills you actually have.

7. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    Look like you're 0-6

Someone that doesn't know theory or how to read music should be nowhere near music students. In fact, just knowing those things, doesn't qualify you to teach either. A LOT of parents would be quite upset if they found out the "teacher" didn't even know the material they were teaching. Do you really want to have that discussion with an angry parent?

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    well at least he's skeptical about it himself:

"But I still feel funny about it. It seems kinda wrong that I might end up being a teacher when I still have so much to learn myself."

good instincts.

9. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Sounds like if you want to go this route, you get a teacher yourself and correct these formalities...... just my .02

10. Demonator

Demonator

Jun 14, 2009
    L.J. Kentucky
    Dean Street Team
    Its waaaaaaaaaay to easy here to get a job as a bass instructor. Anytime I ask about one at E-Towne mall or J-mall they say no, but we need one, are you interested? I say no, I have been playing a few years not enough to teach, they say "dont matter, just the basic stuff". Come here, you'll be fine. Nobody wants to play bass or teach, they hace a few students lined up but nobody will teach lol.

11. even though you don't know things about theory and how to read music, and although they'd definitely be a good thing to know, especially if you're teaching, you'll probably learn a lot while teaching if you do decide to do it.

12. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Right, but the problem is that experience will come at the cost of the student.

13. Tim C.

Tim C.

Feb 4, 2010
    Chicago
    +1,000.

The ability to educate others comes from a combination of expertise and experience.

Teaching isn't supposed to be a learning experience for anybody but the student, except for the teacher to maybe fine-tune their teaching techniques to better share their knowledge.

14. ^that's what i was trying to get at with my post.