I may have asked about this SWR 'feature' before......

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by user, Jan 12, 2004.

1. user

Oct 26, 2003
    I bought a new SWR 350x head and have some questions about clipping on this unit. There is clipping on the preamp and the poweramp sections. I have set the input and preamp section to only clip very rarely. My problem is my desired volume. I use an Ampeg 1510HE cab and to get the volume I need, I have the Power output to about 60%. This causes almost continuous "Limiter" activity here. The green light is almost always on. The amp never really gets hot at all whatsoever (barely even warm). Am I causing damage anyway with having the limiter always on?
  2. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    The limiter has nothing to do with your preamp clipping.

I'm not sure what the limiter does exactly. I think it has something to do with limiting transient peaks in your signal. But it should be explained in your 350x manual.

Dont worry though... you're not harming your amp whatsoever by the limiter light lighting up.
  3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    He's right.

When the limter is on, you should be seeing alot of that light.

Some amps have "Limter" and "Peak" lights. Green is ok, red is a no no. When your playing with your band, the limter is going to be lit up like a christmas tree (Depending on wattage) so don't worry about it. I had the same question when I was just starting out.
  4. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    Set the gain so that the red clip led does NOT come on. Crank the master volume to wherever you need it and don't worry about the green limiter led . . . just make sure the limiter is engaged.