Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I may have been ripped off on Ebay...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tormato, May 31, 2004.

1. tormato

tormato

May 25, 2004
    Hey I was wondering if anyone here can help me out. I got a Rickenbacker "4001" bass off of Ebay about a year ago. I'm starting to wonder, is this really a 4001 model? Here are some things I've noticed...

**dual truss rods
    **very light
    **black truss rod cover (had been painted over and the Made in USA thing or whatever is engraved in white and says 4001)

ok, arent the first two i have here, characteristics of a 4003 model? The person says that this bass was made in January of '79. I even checked the serial number and it was correct. Could they have just put a different cover from a 4001 on there? Also, it seems to be in awfully good condition for a 4001...

Can anyone help me out? Anything else I should look for? Thanks

2. woodster

woodster

Apr 24, 2004
    I brought my 4001-RIC back in 1971,and the only truss rod i`m awhere of is at the top.Does`nt sound right!!

3. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
  4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    All Rics have dual truss rods. I've never seen a Ric copy with dual rods.
    The truss rod cover seems correct from your description but it might have been changed.

5. tormato

tormato

May 25, 2004
    Alright thanks. Still tho, I'd like to take it somewhere and have it looked at... seems kinda sketchty still.

Oh and by the way, thanks for the timeline, I was looking everywhere for that!

6. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    Why don't you try emailing Rickenbacker the serial number and see what they say. At this point you would have no recourse but at least you would know for sure what you bought.

7. At least you have a RIC, which is more than I can say for myself. :(

8. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist