1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I may have found my strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Flatwound, Oct 23, 2000.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Fender Flatwounds. :eek: No, I'm not kidding. I had Thomastiks on my P-bass for a while, everything Andy says is true ;) , but they weren't quite the string for me, at least at this point. The Fender Flats are cheap and nothing like Thoms, so I figured what the hey and got some. Pretty stinkin' cool. Lotsa bottom (natch), but good mids and some highs to boot. Good "bark" giving a string-bassish attack, and reasonable sustain. Nice and thumpy, and the high tension helps if you like a strong attack. I think the ones I have are .045-.095, I'm going to go heavier on the next set.

Still, a couple of questions. I haven't yet tried Rotosounds, LaBellas, Dean Markleys, or GHS. Tried Chromes :mad: , hated 'em. I was thinking about a .050 - .105 or so, so if you're really thrilled with any of the above brands (except Chromes :mad: ), lemme know.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i got dean markley flats on my 8 string when it was delivered to me last year - i really liked them, still have them around. the flats in concert with the piezos gave the best upright sound i have ever heard out of an electric, and they were _almost_ punchy enough for me to use them with magnetics too. almost, but not quite for me - i am pretty much a round wound kinda guy. still though, those dean markleys were cool. :D

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Thanks, JT. I'm thinking about the Markley's, just waiting to see if they return my e-mail. I hate it when a mfr. posts an e-mail address and doesn't answer questions.

Is your CD out yet?

4. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I'm a real fan of Thom Jazz Flats but maybe I'll try some Fenders for a change.