Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I may have found my strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Flatwound, Oct 23, 2000.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Fender Flatwounds. :eek: No, I'm not kidding. I had Thomastiks on my P-bass for a while, everything Andy says is true ;) , but they weren't quite the string for me, at least at this point. The Fender flats are cheap and nothing like Thoms, so I figured what the hey and got some. Pretty stinkin' cool. Lotsa bottom (natch), but good mids and some highs to boot. Good "bark" giving a string-bassish attack, and reasonable sustain. Nice and thumpy, and the high tension helps if you like a strong attack. I think the ones I have are .045-.095, I'm going to go heavier on the next set.

Still, a couple of questions. I haven't yet tried Rotosounds, LaBellas, Dean Markleys, or GHS. Tried Chromes :mad: , hated 'em. I was thinking about a .050 - .105 or so, so if you're really thrilled with any of the above brands (except Chromes :mad: ), lemme know.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i got Dean Markley flats on my 8 string when it was delivered to me last year - i really liked them, still have them around. the flats in concert with the piezos gave the best upright sound i have ever heard out of an electric, and they were _almost_ punchy enough for me to use them with magnetics too. almost, but not quite for me - i am pretty much a round wound kinda guy. still though, those dean markleys were cool. :D

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Thanks, JT. I'm thinking about the Markley's, just waiting to see if they return my e-mail. I hate it when a mfr. posts an e-mail address and doesn't answer questions.

Is your CD out yet?

4. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I'm a real fan of Thom Jazz Flats but maybe I'll try some Fenders for a change.