1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I may have gotten scammed on TB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MycooLeeyun, Aug 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MycooLeeyun

MycooLeeyun Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I recently bought a Ibanez SR5 Prestige 20th Anniversary from the classifieds here from a user named "Mcalve". He had no feedback rating and I (for some reason) offered to pay him using a paypal "gift" option so that he wouldn't incur any fees. My paypal check cleared on monday and I pm'd him telling him that and he replied telling me okay he will let me know when the bass is shipped. I haven't heard from him since and I sent him another PM since then with no response. Basically, he's had my money for over 3 days now and hasn't informed me on any shipping. I guess I'm going to keep waiting around for him to say something but I'm really worried that he's just going to run off with my money. Here is the thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/ibanez-5-string-20th-anniversary-sr-prestige-891233/. What do you guys think? :meh:

2. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    I think the guy joined in late 2011, has five posts, and no feetback. Good luck, and I hope he actually sends you the bass in the photos.

3. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    WOW

Fail :rollno:

if it does turn out bad for you, you only have yourself to blame.

4. MycooLeeyun

Sep 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for the encouragement =] .. I know I screwed up... I'm just desperately hoping that he pulls through. I've never had a problem dealing on TB and for some reason assume everyone on here to be pretty honest.

5. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Never ever, use gift payment. Offer to pay the extra 15 bucks per 500. Seems like a small investment but now you have no recourse.

When you paid him you should have gotten a name. I would forward that to a mod. However, paypal gift payments are a no no on here. Or at least to ask for them anyway.

6. LaBassGuy

LaBassGuy Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2008
    I assume you have his actual name and address. If so, call the local police station there.

If outside of TB someone had gotten $1k from you under the false pretense they would give you something in return, you'd report them to the cops . It's no different just because it happens over here on TB.

7. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Was his name Evan?
    Where is he from?

Sorry for being harsh

8. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    See the Dr. Bass thread. Local police aren't going to do a thing. He made a gift payment anyway. Like giving to charity at that point.

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I hope it turns out for the best. I had a really slow transaction here once but I finally received my bass. I did have to send a couple of 'reminder' e-mails though.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I sold a bass to a TBer in China with 5 posts and zero feedback. All went well, but there was quite a bit of communication before the sale. Hopefully everything will work out well for you.

11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Sorry to hear this - using the gift option was definitely NOT a good choice. Hope it works out for you.

12. MycooLeeyun

Sep 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    I didn't get any of his information... I usually don't when I'm the buyer. The fact that he was offering the bass up for a local pickup makes me wonder if he really had ill intentions. His thread states that he is located in Northern Virginia. I know it doesn't really mean much but he seemed to be an alright guy from the messages we exchanged. Maybe he's just busy as hell or incredibly irresponsible.

13. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Wasn't aware of the "gift" payment option. Let the mods know and hopefully this guy actually has the bass.

14. Sucks bro, but some people are just slow on getting stuff done. I would at least give it another day or so before calling the police like the others said. Did you try emailing him aswell? Sometimes I never notice I have PMs on here for days.

Hope it all works out.

15. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    Gift option is against TB rules. And for good reason.

16. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    This won't be good news for the original poster, but the mod staff is not likely to help here:

UPDATE: as of March 2011, Talkbass will NOT get involved in mediating transaction disputes where PayPal gift payment has been used - there will be no exceptions to this whatsoever. You can't give up your legal recourse, break the PayPal user agreement and then look to TalkBass to solve your transaction problems.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/announcement.php?f=126&a=230

17. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo

You'll have to wait longer than that before the police will get involved.

18. MycooLeeyun

Sep 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    He doesn't have an email address set up on here so I can only contact him via PM. I'm not going to start calling the police just yet but I'm definitely very worried. I have a feeling the mods aren't really going to care much for my conundrum due to my smart idea of using the "gift" option.

19. fenderhutz

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/ibanez-5-string-20th-anniversary-sr-prestige-891233/

That is the original thread and they do reference a local music store. It seems legit. Had your money for three days isn't that long, it probably even hasn't cleared his account which he might need to ship it. I think you are worrying too much in a such a short amount of time. Most people work jobs during the week and can't start shipping places until the weekend.

Edit: Even more so, don't live on Talkbass to reply to ever PM within the hour.

20. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    I won't harp on the "never use the gift option" thing since I think you have already learned that lesson regardless of how this turns out. But how did the idea of the gift option come about in this transaction? Was it your idea or his?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.