Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I may have had an epiphany, but I'm trying to ignore it...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Dec 26, 2002.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've been laying off playing much for the last few months, first due to the move and then due to a nasty case of tendonitis in my right arm.

This past week is the first time I've been able to do some serious practice since October. (Then I went and hurt my arm again lifting a turkey out of the oven Tuesday, but that's a story for another time.) It was very interesting and enlightening picking up all my basses again fresh.

I was shocked to see how much easier my Sterling was to play well than any other bass I own! It just fits me properly, and I have very little problem in coaxing the tones I want out of it without much thought or effort. In comparison, my other basses suffered...I struggle with them to play passably.

I like toys. I really do. As many as possible. My Ric is great. My Steinie XM2A is delightful. And my Jazz is amusing, particularly with how "well" I play fretless at this point.

But, now I'm starting to wonder if I should start offloading my other basses to pick up two more Sterlings - a blank plank fretless and a maple boarded fretted. Those three, a travel bass (I have several that would do), and my Tacoma Thunderchief would probably be all I'd ever really need.

Arrgh! Anyone else ever discovered something like this?

2. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I'm still in denial...

3. yeah, but its hard, trying to decide if I should either go for all p-basses, or Modulus(i)....idk I love my P and yet I love my Mod Q6. But in your case, that would be awesome.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Of?

And to answer the initial question, yeah. I've played the entire stock of Bass Central more than once, so I've seen a LOT of basses come through my hands. And you know what fits me the best? My cheapie Ibanez GSR200's neck. Ain't it strange?

The other is that while I really like 6s and 7s, I keep getting drawn to 4s, again and again. I string my 4 BEAD, like the next four coming in will be, and then the next bass will be an EADG 4. After that...shoot, a fretless, and I think I'm gonna be done! :eek: .... well, no, never that.

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I've had the exact same experience with my Sterling. I still fight with myself constantly about selling all my other basses. My Warwick is the only other one I think I'll never get rid of, but only because it was my first "real" bass, and I swear it has a sort of spirit to it. It is truly one of a kind.

As much as my Sterling is my favorite bass, I feel I could get over losing it if it ever happened - a lot of other Sterlings feel the same. My Warwick is one of a kind. Nino B played it and I think he agrees. I rarely play it anymore, but I talk to it and it keeps me good company :D .

MM Sterlings.... aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

6. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    that I could be happy with fewer basses.

Haven't quite hit that 'eureka' moment, but then I haven't reclined in the bath lately either...

7. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    How's the water?

8. Yeah Heavy, I've been doing some similar thinking. I too wasn't playing my basses that much during the last few months, due completely to practicing on my regular six stringers, trying to play the blues. When I came back to playing bass, it was pretty clear that the only two I really play are my Stingray and my Jack Casady. I love playing fretless, but, my MIM Jazz hums way too much and that's the only reason I hardly play it. I have to make a decision of either selling it or putting in quiet pups. The way it is now, I hate it! If you have had said epiphany, I would do what you've proposed, sell what you know you don't really play and set up a Sterling stable.

What good is having multiple basses if you don't really like them?

Mike

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

They help you appreciate the basses that you do like? :D

I'm actually somewhat serious. I enjoy having variety in my small collection: active and passive, wood and composite, fast and chunky.

For those of you who have found your #1, I salute you. But there will never be a "best" for me, only a selection of different delicious flavors. Within my stable, my opinions on Most Favorite and Least Favorite change constantly. Sometimes I realize I have no favorite, and get ideas such as "my ideal bass would have the look of Brand X, the playability of Brand Y, the tone of Brand Z". However the values of X, Y, and Z are in flux from week to week.

I keep telling myself "I don't want to wind up with two dozen basses and a dozen amp rigs". (Logistics makes this impossible anyway). But I can understand the appeal of having so much gear...

...not that I'm trying to de-piphanize anyone. ;)

10. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Did anybody get my "How's the water?" joke?

11. I must have overlooked it and I hang out in the bad pun thread! :oops:

The Nile is a river in Africa. :D

I should be slapped for missing that one. :(

Mike

12. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I was trying to ignore it... ;)

13. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    DING DING DING, We have a winner. Thanks for playing. Step this way, we have your years supply of Rice-a-roni for you.;)

14. Ah yes, the San Francisco treat! :D

Yum!

Mike :cool:

15. I did:D

I found that for four strings I really like platinum Warlocks are really nice for me but I haven't got one yet (soon) and I have yet to find my favorite 5:mad:, and as for above 5 I haven't ever really played any:rolleyes:

16. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Euphrates we didn't catch it?

17. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    All this talk about Sterlings, i might just ahve to go out and play one, see if it could be my "one". You know, if had the money or something. :p

18. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I recently swapped my 2001 Anniv MIA P for a sunburst 2001 MIA J, and rediscovered how much I like J Basses. Lately Ive been playing it pretty much exclusively, and prefer it to a P at this point.

For the last two + years Id been playing nothing but a P.

19. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Boo! Hiss! Where's my rotten fruit?