I may have to change my name!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Flatwound, Apr 15, 2001.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Well, I play mostly in a church praise band these days. I listened to a tape recently of some of our stuff and the bass was pretty muddy and undefined. I get a nice stage sound, but it just wasn't coming through the PA. This was with Fender Flatwounds, which I really like. So I got a set of Ernie Ball "Hybrid Slinky" (.045-.105) nickel roundwounds and tried that. Now it sounds like I'm playing a bass, and not some sort of tone generator.

It's kind of interesting getting used to rounds again. They feel softer to my fingers, and I have to work on eliminating finger noise. Got some GHS Fast Fret, and it helps a lot. The Ernies are almost as thumpy as the Fender flats, and obviously a lot brighter. They sound a little harsh soloed, but sit pretty well in the mix.

The Fender flats weren't really the problem, the problem is either PA EQ, or the direct signal I was sending, or something like that. Still, I'm going to use rounds for a while. I've got a set of SIT Rock Brights on the way, and I'm going to try some RS66LDN's as soon as Dude has them in stock.
  2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Maybe you could try nickel, not as bright as Stainless and still sound very good.
    Have you tried any ground wound?
  3. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Actually, Yvon, the EB Slinkys I'm using are nickel. I haven't tried ground wound or half-round strings, but I may.
  4. Oh, and what's that "fast fret" stuff
  5. you'll hear this alot, but ernies are VERY bright out of the pack, just wait a while.
  6. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Uh, say what? I mean, I didn't think I said anything particularly controversial, but if you tell me what it was, I'll be happy to elaborate.

Fast Fret is a GHS product that you rub on your strings to make them a little slicker. Cuts down on the finger noise, and is supposed to make the strings last longer. I don't know if it makes the strings last longer yet, but I like it for the slickness factor.
  7. Taurus

Feb 2, 2001
    I just put in a new set of compression wound strings and have been mightily impressed with them.Roundwound sound with a bit of smoother "flat" feel to them.Cut down on fretbuzz too as an added bonus.
  8. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I went the opposite way. The Hybrid slinksy i had on felt good & sounded good but i need alil less brightness to it-so i got GHS Brite Flats put on. i'm thinkin once this set dies though i'll go back to old faithful slinkys. [hybrids or super] thats all
  9. hybrid slinkys are my strings of choice. nice to see others here using them.
  10. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I'm kind of surprised at how good they sound. I'll try other brands when these die, but at least they're worth keeping on until they do die. I'm using the Hybrids, but I think I'd like a 50-105 set better.
  11. i use super slinkys, but i'm thinking of moving up to hybrids or regulars for tuning to E flat. i love ernies.