1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I may have wasted money on a new pickup (Peavey Zodiac)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinsok, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I bought one as a project. It came to me with a set of super high tension flats (maybe Steve Harris Bright Flats.) There was a tremendous amount of back bow and the strings bottomed out against the frets. I got it set up and even with a set of take-off strings (random from a jar) it sounds pretty dang good! The output is very hot! I have a new SPB-2 to put it in, but I don't know if it will be that much of an improvement. For some reason someone stamped "ou812" at the 20th fret.

2. Firesalt

Firesalt Is good enough. Supporting Member

May 18, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    If you're happy with the tone then send the new pup back. If not then try it, after all it's just money, right? :)

3. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Won't hurt nuthin' to try it out!!!

4. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    I agree. If you like it the way it is, why cange the pup? It seems as though many guys, in their never ending quest for "better tone", keep changing things. I was also sucked into this trap many times.

BTW. This may not be the last bass that needs a set up. Take it from me. You can do it yourself, and tweek it exactly as you like it. If the neck had a bow, loosining the truss rod a bit at a time would have relieved that. A back bow is known as a bow, and a front bow is known as relief. Most manufacturers suggest that for the best action in their instruments, a slight relief is best. Truss adjustments, along with bridge adjustments, and you can dial in the paying action exactly as you want. When you take it to someone else, they dial it in to whatever THEY think is best. (for you)

Anywho. I have been setting up basses and guitars for decades. Before I did the first one, I had no experience. All I had was guts enough to try. Food for thought.

5. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    "OU812" is Oh, you ate one too? It is surfer slang for wiping out! You better be preparing to play surf music now!

6. This^^^ and also a VH album!!

7. I think the Zodiacs had Duncan Design pickups in them, so while not US built, they are every bit a Duncan pickup and probably not that different from the SPB-2.

8. Save the pup for another project.

9. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Actually, I got my Solo PBK-1 P Bass kit today. It's getting the SPB-2.